advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

Good Evening All,

I understand the pro-life arguments but there are a whole host of reasons why the Supreme Courts decision is a backward step.

I simply don't understand the logic.

Regards

Richard

The consciousness that I am appears to be the same consciousness I had as a teenager and a small child, a continuum. My personality, body and thoughts obviously changed over time. At what point in the womb I became conscious I have no idea. But the ending of that consciousness would have been ending my life. I would assume the consciousness arose once my brain was fully functioning, and before that, ending my body's existence would be the woman's right. After that point, I'm not comfortable with the idea.

Reactions: srh
My personal view on abortion is my right. If you feel otherwise i have no problem with it.

True, but don't force your personal opinion on women who don't agree with you. Certainly there should be limits on abortion such as a sensible time limit after conception, but if you look at some of the State limits /bans that will now be imposed, such as not allowing abortion after rape of incest, it becomes a human rights issue.

The decision by the court says that there is no constitutional right to abortion, hence states can make their own rules. For more liberal states this means no change. For right wing states that impose limits or totally ban the procedure, it disproportionally impacts poor and minority communities. Rich white daddy will fly his barbie out of state when she gets pregnant in high school, a poor family without the means to support another mouth will have no choice.

The consciousness that I am appears to be the same consciousness I had as a teenager and a small child, a continuum. My personality, body and thoughts obviously changed over time. At what point in the womb I became conscious I have no idea. But the ending of that consciousness would have been ending my life. I would assume the consciousness arose once my brain was fully functioning, and before that, ending my body's existence would be the woman's right. After that point, I'm not comfortable with the idea.

I don't think anyone who believes that abortion should be legal views abortion as a desirable thing. In an ideal world there would be no unwanted pregnancies and no need for abortion. Unwanted pregnancies arise for a number of reasons so the decision should simply be about whether it's better for the woman to have a legal right to choose and access to safe medical care. Making abortion illegal will result in
  • deaths and severe injuries to women seeking abortions outside of the medical system.
  • increased poverty for both mothers and children. This will affect existing children that the mother already has.

Limits are used to prevent access to abortions in certain areas and by certain doctors. There should be no limits because that will encourage earlier decisions - nobody chooses to have a late abortion because they want one.

I respect that position (especially as I feel the same). The question, in my mind at least, is at what point does a collection of cells become an individual. I believe that moment is several months after conception, and it seems that most European laws view it that way, too.
I feel that if someone has made a conscious decision to take part in an exercise which could lead to pregnancy, they should take responsibility for their actions, regardless of selfish wants & needs. If cells are growing inside a womb, it's the potential for a human being to be born & live a fulfilled life. How does anyone have the right to deny this.

You disagree with yourself?
I disagree with abortion when down to selfish reasons. There are plenty of people who want to adopt children because they are unable to conceive. Instead of regretting after the fact, don't do the act if you are too irresponsible to take responsibility for your actions or at the very least give birth & let someone desperate for a child, bring up this child.

I'm pro life, there will always be exceptions but "people" need to take responsibility for their actions. There are plenty who want to adopt & refusing the right of someone to live out of pure selfishness is not on my agenda.

Fine, you do you. Your morality, your god or whatever is your business. You do however have zero right to impose your closed-thinking or bigotry on others. Anyone religious can stick their god sideways up their arse as far as I’m concerned. I’m not buying any of that shit. The religious have zero right to dictate their beliefs on others.

What goes on in a woman’s body is 100% her business. It is her decision process and to be informed however she chooses. It is not my choice, not yours, and certainly not some stone-age religion’s. No one is telling religious dickheads not to be religious dickheads. That is their right and the vast majority of us won’t stand in their way. Many of us will however absolutely reject their views, gods, superstitions etc and any attempts to force those views on others is religious fascism/fundamentalism and needs to be met with very forceful resistance.

advertisement

Back