advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

It didn't 'raise' them, it likely stopped some falling into poverty. Clearly the infrastructure was always too small, and was continuously throttled to meet the usual panics of 'default' etc. This is the same story for the climate/energy transformation plan.

Did you read that 'new trickle-down' plan for 'build back better' from Janet Yellen on the governmnets policy announcements posted by LaughingBoy? The numbers look big, they are big, but nowhere near what is required. Yet in the popular mind it's hard to stand there and say so without people being stunned into incredulity as to why that would be said.

The bills were the largest that could be passed given, as has already been said many times, that two Democratic Senators are really DINOs.

Would love to live in a word where the Dems had a filibuster-proof Senate majority, but we don’t. If the Dems did not tell a story about “how we pay for spending”, then Manchin would not have signed on, and Republicans would be hammering them for being “fiscally irresponsible”. Also, I have no issue with a minimum corporate tax, or with raising taxes on wealthy individuals.

I have not read Yellen’s plan, only news articles that summarized its goals.

The bills were the largest that could be passed given, as has already been said many times, that two Democratic Senators are really DINOs.
Of course, I understand this. When the critique is offered it is not on the basis of assuming people are horrible (well some are), but that ideology prevents them doing what they need to do. Based upon grave misunderstanding and unfounded fears. Such as that last debacle about 'raising the "debt" ceiling'. These sorts of circuses are what pass for serious policy debates that in the end means people's lives, for generations perhaps.

It's that even when presented with the tools, they choose other tools because they are familiar with them, even though they've failed to deliver in the past. As they will fail again. That's why it's painful to watch.

Of course, I understand this. When the critique is offered it is not on the basis of assuming people are horrible (well some are), but that ideology prevents them doing what they need to do. Based upon grave misunderstanding and unfounded fears. Such as that last debacle about 'raising the "debt" ceiling'. These sorts of circuses are what pass for serious policy debates that in the end means people's lives, for generations perhaps.

It's that even when presented with the tools, they choose other tools because they are familiar with them, even though they've failed to deliver in the past. As they will fail again. That's why it's painful to watch.

I understand what you are saying, and yes, the process can be very frustrating. I agree that the so-called debt ceiling is an antiquated concept that serves no purpose. But I also agree with Voltaire about the best being the enemy of the good. I will gladly accept the Democratic legislative for what it is: progress. Smaller steps than many of us would like to see, but given the current balance of political power, these are significant wins.

It appears so. Personally I find the behaviour extremely pretentious. It's an attempt to add a false gravitas to one person's opinions and banal observations.
Haven't you read the fellow's rationale for doing it? I find it persuasive.

Last edited:
The US has spent the past 3 decades working on the assumption that trade engagement with China would guide China toward a more cooperative and democratic future, but that has been shown not to be the case. The US wars in Afghanistan and Iraq were unjustifiable and terrible mistakes, but WRT to the current Chinese policy toward Taiwan bringing up US foreign misadventures is pure whataboutism. China's threats toward Taiwan are completely unacceptable - the future of Taiwan is the choice of the people of Taiwan, and not the CCP.

'Democratic future'. Ha. :rolleyes: Such a statement sounds good coming from the likes of the State Department press team, but the US has never cared about fostering democracy. Not at all especially when the peoples in those democracies want something which might be opposed to US economic interests. There are so many examples of this and the world is still reeling from the ramifications of these humanitarian disasters.

There's the 1953 Iranian coup d'état of the democratically elected PM Mohammad Mosaddegh, who had worked to liberalize Iranian society, by the US and UK simply because the UK was concerned about their oil interests in the country. Classified documents pertaining to the overthrow were released a few years back by the US government so there is no doubt what happened. This directly led to all the subsequent problems in Iran and certainly it hasn't fostered a liberalized, democratic society. It's the complete opposite.

Not long after that was the 1954 Guatemalan coup d'état of a democratic government because in large part US business interests, United Fruit/Chiquita opposed labor reforms which hindered the use of lowly-paid laborers. That led to a nearly 40 year civil war which the country is still recovering from and this remains a source of humanitarian disasters as people try flee the are. Guatemala may not be quite the neighbor that Ukraine is to Russia, but the US and Guatemala are neighbors and Guatemala's plight has become the US's problem.

Just to name one more example (there are many more), and perhaps the most famous one, there is the 1973 Chilean coup d'état led by the US and UK to overthrow the democratically elected President Allende for economic and resource purposes. Again, the region has never fully recovered from these humanitarian disasters.

It's not about democracy. The US is friendly with a several international non-democratically leaders...many of whom have their own humanitarian disasters. Rather, the US was hoping China would completely liberalize their economy along neoliberal principles ala Chile. That has not happened as China, which has a rather liberalized economy, does still maintain some state control of their economy and they have exerted that in recent years. It's certainly within their right to do so. If the US doesn't like it, well, tough. They're welcomed to implement trade barriers with China, but to try to force change via militarization is disastrous. Even the infamous anti-communists who ran the 1950s coups knew China was more or less untouchable. What makes modern US leaders think that China is Afghanistan or something...which wasn't exactly a smashing success for the US either. o_O

This is a bit of red herring. are you saying that they shouldn't co-operate with China on green energy (China is pursuing it anyway, especially in Africa) on the grounds that they disagree with certain facets of Chinese policy? So that on the same grounds maybe everyone should never cooperate with the U.S. based upon its malevolent foreign policy (for the last 60-70 years)? If we want to count human rights abuses people in the west can quickly be embarrassed.

China's human rights abuses seem quaint to what the US/west have sponsored/are sponsoring at the current time. Nobody has brought it up, but there is the genocide against the Uyghurs. This is terrible. However, the amount of human rights violations, if not outright genocide, against Muslims in the Middle East, Turkey, and Africa is outrageous. The US gives unquestioning support to the modern day Andrew Jacksons in Israel's far right-wing government. Much was made about Trump's Israeli policies, but Biden has only continued them without much of the same scrutiny. And, of course, these policies are supported by far right-wing Christian Zionist groups here in the US. So much for the Democrats combating right-wing Christian extremism. :eek:

This is not just a matter of whataboutism either. Other countries around the world know what's going on including China. If the US was a shining example of human rights, then maybe the US would have some leverage in convincing other countries to change their broken ways. However, when the US is the perpetrator of massive human rights violations year and year, other countries are not going to take the US seriously and Klassik doubts there is even much diplomatic push on the humanitarian front anyway.

The US wants countries such as India and so forth to condemn Russia's actions against Ukraine. It's not that these countries like what Russia has done because they don't, but they know the US has done the same thing many times over and they've had to live with the consequences with that.

Moreover, countries involved in militarization generally aren't in position to improve their human rights. Generally, human rights get worse under that condition, not better. If the US was really interested in improving human rights, what's with the militarization? :confused:

If you had to choose where to live out of the three countries, and all other factors important to you being equal, which would you choose?

This is usually said by people who've never been to China. There's this idea that it's devoid of civil liberties and everyone walks about afraid. It's not true. At base level alone you're not likely to end up shot dead while sitting in a restaurant there.

I think we've all seen over the last few years that civil liberties can be curtailed anywhere, but that some states have better PR.

Klassik Sr. lived in Eastern Bloc countries in the 1960s such as the DDR and Czechoslovakia. While things weren't perfect, Klassik Sr. quite enjoyed his extended time there and reported that conditions are nothing like what was being reported by the US/western media at the time (Klassik Sr. also lived in Western Europe as well). Conversely, if one looks at what life was like in the US at the same time, minorities couldn't even drink from 'white' drinking fountains or eat at the same lunch counters here in the south.

Klassik has never been to China, but Klassik has been to the biggest cities of India and has seen what a problem pollution is there. China surely has similar problems. The US could and should be working on those issues. After all, a large amount of that pollution is from US companies and if China and the US alone made significant environmental progress, outcomes would be so much better for the rest of the world.

Also, Le Baron's point about crime, violence, and other maladies caused by poverty in the US are exactly right. On a street in Klassik's area this week, which is not a rough part of town, there have been two shootings. One yesterday was a shopping center Klassik used to frequently visit because it had an awesome new/used media store that had excellent classical music CDs before it closed a couple of months ago. It's not all gun crime, but things are pretty ugly here and things are getting worse. This is in an area which does have major employers and at least a moderate cost of living. Klassik can only imagine what things are like in places with worse employment problems. The Chinese probably don't have to deal with all these shootings and violent incidents in their towns.

It didn't 'raise' them, it likely stopped some falling into poverty. Clearly the infrastructure was always too small, and was continuously throttled to meet the usual panics of 'default' etc. This is the same story for the climate/energy transformation plan.

Did you read that 'new trickle-down' plan for 'build back better' from Janet Yellen on the government's policy announcements posted by LaughingBoy? The numbers look big, they are big, but nowhere near what is required. Yet in the popular mind it's hard to stand there and say so without people being stunned into incredulity as to why that would be said.

Sí señor. Even the Republicans were willing to spend to keep the US from turning into something from the Hoover era during Covid, but this does not remotely solve any sort of greater poverty issues. Prominent monetarist figures such as Lawrence Summers still have large voices in Democratic Party policy which is downright scary. Even the Republicans know that complete austerity won't work because the government has to subsidize all those working McJobs. In some ways, those McJobs might be even better than 'gig' jobs. :eek: McJobs and gig jobs, along with high unemployment, is not a good mix when the US very easily could implement full employment policies. Does anyone think voters in critical EC locations such as Michigan (where there is a report that Ford, for example, is getting ready to make ~8000 mostly white-collar engineers and such redundant) and Ohio are going to throw tomatoes at Democratic Party politicians for promoting full employment? Sure, they might have to explain it to overcome years of economic ignorance pushed in part by the Democratic Party themselves, but it's an idea which people will want to support even if they need assistance seeing how it'll happen.

For all the talk about Biden saving us from the Republicans, what's going to happen when citizens in places such as Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Ohio, and so forth look at their communities in 2024 and realize that improvement has not happened, poverty and byproducts of it have increased, and so forth? Are they going to be running to vote for Biden or will they vote for someone like DeSantis...or what should be the Democrats' biggest fear that these voters will just stay home and not vote?

Haven't you read the fellow's rationale for doing it? I find it persuasive.
I haven’t seen it and would like to read it because it’s been irritating me, too, and you’re the second person whose views I respect who has defended it. I’ve got behind on a couple of the bigger, faster growing threads, so might have skimmed past it. Where should I look?

Klassik Sr. lived in Eastern Bloc countries in the 1960s such as the DDR and Czechoslovakia. While things weren't perfect, Klassik Sr. quite enjoyed his extended time there and reported that conditions are nothing like what was being reported by the US/western media at the time (Klassik Sr. also lived in Western Europe as well). Conversely, if one looks at what life was like in the US at the same time, minorities couldn't even drink from 'white' drinking fountains or eat at the same lunch counters here in the south.

Klassik has never been to China, but Klassik has been to the biggest cities of India and has seen what a problem pollution is there. China surely has similar problems. The US could and should be working on those issues. After all, a large amount of that pollution is from US companies and if China and the US alone made significant environmental progress, outcomes would be so much better for the rest of the world.

Also, Le Baron's point about crime, violence, and other maladies caused by poverty in the US are exactly right. On a street in Klassik's area this week, which is not a rough part of town, there have been two shootings. One yesterday was a shopping center Klassik used to frequently visit because it had an awesome new/used media store that had excellent classical music CDs before it closed a couple of months ago. It's not all gun crime, but things are pretty ugly here and things are getting worse. This is in an area which does have major employers and at least a moderate cost of living. Klassik can only imagine what things are like in places with worse employment problems. The Chinese probably don't have to deal with all these shootings and violent incidents in their towns.
I didn't mean to suggest USA is necessarily a good place to live. Certainly not for everyone. I've lived in similarly scary parts of UK. Early 2000s an opportunist armed robber knocked on my front door (London). I believe visiting a place is an excellent education, but it isn’t necessary to gain an accurate knowledge.

Klassik Sr. Experience, and ours, are ultimately a result of position in pecking order. Quite enjoyable unless you’re one of the unfortunates too close to bottom of the pile.

But as you have the knowledge of China to reach conclusions here was curious to know if you'd considered current quality of life for average resident in all three countries. I've not been to any, but from what I know USA is obviously best/least worst choice. I use this thought process to check my thoughts and assertions.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to suggest USA is necessarily a good place to live. Certainly not for everyone. I've lived in similarly scary parts of UK. Early 2000s an opportunist armed robber knocked on my front door (London). I believe visiting a place is an excellent education, but it isn’t necessary to gain an accurate knowledge.

Klassik Sr. Experience, and ours, are ultimately a result of position in pecking order. Quite enjoyable unless you’re one of the unfortunates too close to bottom of the pile.

But as you have the knowledge of China to reach conclusions here was curious to know if you'd considered current quality of life for average resident in all three countries. I've not been to any, but from what I know USA is obviously best/least worst choice. I use this thought process to check my thoughts and assertions.

Klassik Sr. lived in places such as Czechoslovakia and the DDR for a number of years and was even married to a local for a while who eventually came to the US. Klassik has a half-brother from that who is American educated, but who lives in Poland currently. Klassik Sr. knew what it was like living in these places as well as Western Europe, the US, and some other places as well.

Klassik will not assume that quality of life is better for someone in the US than in China. As always, there are certain variables. Things are going to be different for a wealthy American versus a poor Chinese person and things will be different from a wealthy Chinese person compared to a poor American person. There are very impoverished Americans who are living in tent cities or out of their cars. There are a number of people living in such squalor in Houston, but some cities are even worse. It's quite well-known that the US has a large population of incarcerated people as well. There was a report this past week in the media discussing research from Texas A&M University discussing oppressive heat in some Texas prisons where there is no A/C. They found one cell where the temperature was 149 F (65 C). :eek:

There might be certain limitations on freedoms the Chinese have, but Klassik knows not if these are things the average Chinese person spends much time thinking about in their daily lives. While western propaganda and natural thoughts are about the evils of the Chinese form of governance, Chinese propaganda, and the logic of their own people, surely look at US/western governments and think it must be chaos. If an outsider takes a look at US news, for example, one would see constant squabbling and changes of power, protesters getting arrested, corporate-dominated politics, racial/immigrant/refugee unrest, many instances of involvement in foreign military conflicts, and so forth. They probably view this as discord and something which hinders governance as compared to a more stable system like they have. At the very least, someone trying to be fair to both sides can see advantages and disadvantages to both systems.

Just looking at the US, or the UK as there are a lot of similarities, the people collectively do have a large say in government, But, yet, what we see year after year are corporate-driven neoliberal policies being implemented by government from all the parities of relevance. The corporate class are very united in their ideology and support. Their voices will be heard. With the public, well...not so much. Thus, the major parties are accountable to corporate power and not to the needs of the public. Thus, we see 40+ years of eroding public funding, 40+ years of eroding employment standards, 40+ years of rubber stamp mergers and acquisitions without concern if commerce is operating under fair competition, 40+ years of globalization leading to decreased employment, decreased wages, and increased global pollution.

In the few cases that the public gets something they want, it's usually right-wing nonsense such as Republican Party support for anti-abortion judges and legislation. The Republican Party will fight hard for their base to support such things in exchange for the public supporting the religious-like zeal of deregulated free market economics. The Democratic Party gives lackluster (at best), often unsuccessful support for things they public wants (and they make no effort for things such as nationalized healthcare) while still religiously supporting the same deregulated free market economics. Perhaps the best things the US public has gotten from the Democrats are their judicial branch appointees, but what we've seen from the Democrats as far as executive and legislative branch work is truly dreadful. Even then, it could be argued that the Republicans are better at getting judges they're happy with than the Democratic-voting public has received from their party given some of the right-wing decisions of the courts even though the Democrats have had more years to appoint federal judges since the 1990s.

FYqbDwbXEAAc7FH.jpg

advertisement

Back