advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

It is a twisting of words and you are doing it again. A collection of cells is not by any definition - other than a certain kind of religious definition - a child.

WTF?
Embryo = collection of cells
Child = collection of cells
You = collection of cells
Elephant = collection of cells
Duck-billed Platypus = collection of cells

No need to bring religion into it.

WTF?

No. A child is a collection of cells that have become a baby by virtue of being born. Before being born, it is a foetus, and before that a zygote, and before that a blob of jelly. If you care to read the context you will see that my blob of jelly remark was aimed at those who insist that legal abortion is the killing of a child. By any definition other than the religious, It is not.

WTF?

You are rather confusing a collection of cells performing some basic biochemistry and Elul are organisation that has a decent - but not definite - shot at becoming sentient to various collections of cells that have passed through that phase and have finalised the biochemistry that meets the usual definition of alive and capable of independent function.

Roe v Wade
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez calls for supreme court justices to be impeached

The congresswoman says Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch lied under oath to Congress about their views on Roe
Ramon Antonio Vargas

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...urt-justices-impeach-kavanaugh-gorsuch-thomas

clip...

Ocasio-Cortez’s remarks took aim at justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch. Both were appointed by former president Donald Trump and had signaled that they would not reverse the supreme court’s landmark 1973 decision in Roe v Wade during confirmation hearings as well as in meetings with senators.

This has great potential.

Hope she succeeds.

That's their script eh!!

Lord Phillips of Worthmatravers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Phillips,_Baron_Phillips_of_Worth_Matravers

Leading judge allowing a corrupt landlords appeal from his iffy
legal case he lost three times in the lower court.

Worth Matravers only pub...

https://www.squareandcompasspub.co.uk/

20180205_banner_home_01.jpg

Chew on that and your paranoia.

As an aside from you slightly bizarre concern with the odd handshake society (did you know they get free RAC membership), I love the Square and Compass, have been there many a time when down in that there Dorset.

Roe v Wade
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez calls for supreme court justices to be impeached

The congresswoman says Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch lied under oath to Congress about their views on Roe
Ramon Antonio Vargas

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...urt-justices-impeach-kavanaugh-gorsuch-thomas

clip...

Ocasio-Cortez’s remarks took aim at justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch. Both were appointed by former president Donald Trump and had signaled that they would not reverse the supreme court’s landmark 1973 decision in Roe v Wade during confirmation hearings as well as in meetings with senators.

This has great potential.

Hope she succeeds.

Sadly this will never happen. Biden doesn't even have the moxy to expand the Supreme Court. Much as I could not stand the orange one he would be right in there doing just that or trying to get them impeached. The best hope is the voters. Polls indicate that the majority are for the right to choose. Now is the time to step up in the mid-term elections. If the voters miss this opportunity I fear that other rights will crumble like a house of cards.

Sadly this will never happen. Biden doesn't even have the moxy to expand the Supreme Court. Much as I could not stand the orange one he would be right in there doing just that or trying to get them impeached. The best hope is the voters. Polls indicate that the majority are for the right to choose. Now is the time to step up in the mid-term elections. If the voters miss this opportunity I fear that other rights will crumble like a house of cards.
I'm hoping for a disasterous outcome for the Republicans in the mid terms, giving the Dems enough of a majority for abortion rights to be codified into federal law. Obama promised to do this and then didn't.

Hopefully this appalling decision won't last for long.

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Millions of American women and girls have declared themselves corporations in order to force the United States Supreme Court to grant them rights as people, legal observers have reported.

Attorneys across the nation indicated that they have been swamped by requests from clients seeking to incorporate as soon as possible. “The Supreme Court decided in 2010 that corporations are people, so all we want is to be treated like corporations, ” Carol Foyler, who now goes by the corporate name FoylerCo L.L.C., said.

The decision by millions of women to incorporate sent shock waves through the Court’s conservative majority, who reportedly scoured the Constitution in vain for a means to circumvent the ingenious tactic. Even the normally taciturn Clarence Thomas was moved to issue a rare public statement. “It’s a sad day in America when the nation’s highest court is forced to treat women like people,” he wrote.

An interesting and important chart, in light of the Supreme Court's recent decision:

FWOUsT5WQAENKpJ

What are the chances of a Democratic Party fight back at the state level?

There was apparently another Supreme Court vote recently enabling teachers to preach religion in school in true Taliban style. The gap between church and state effectively removed and given the white Christian fascism trajectory of the USA at present truly chilling. Opens the door even further for the demonising and eventual eradication of LGBTQ+ folk’s basic right to exist.

No. A child is a collection of cells that have become a baby by virtue of being born. Before being born, it is a foetus, and before that a zygote, and before that a blob of jelly. If you care to read the context you will see that my blob of jelly remark was aimed at those who insist that legal abortion is the killing of a child. By any definition other than the religious, It is not.
Why do you draw a distinction at 'being born'? That's purely a transition from one support environment to another.

Termination at birth is clearly 'killing a child', termination shortly after conception equally clearly not. At some point in time between the status changes. Almost everybody, including most American voters, agrees broadly with this and while they might disagree with where the cut off should be, agree there should be a cut off and terminations should be freely available before. It's entertaining to see someone so clear about their opinion, most 'pro-choice' extremists, cannot quite bring themselves to articulate it. And you find yourself at odds with Roe-v-Wade, which is quite ironic.

FWIW I think the Roe-v-Wade and Casey update were bad, because they created law that should have been written by legislatures in conjunction with medical and scientific advice and then tested for constitutionality. The court found a right to termination, which is fair enough, and that the state had an interest in the foetus, which is also fair enough, and then it tried to reconcile the contradiction. Properly a job for politicians accountable to the electorate.

FWIW2 we're on the way to similar controversy. The UK law needs revision to make it clear a pregnant woman has a right to a termination, and to bring the time limit back below viability. This would also bring the UK more into line with the rest of Europe, so I would expect wide support....

It's not up to Biden. Article III, Section 1, of the Constitution gives Congress the authority to change the size of the Supreme Court. This means we are back to needing 60 votes to break a GOP Senate filibuster, and the votes aren't there. Even if the Dems vote unilaterally to suspend the filibuster, Manchin and Sinema don't support SC expansion, so the Dems don't even have the 50 votes needed for passage.

Why do you draw a distinction at 'being born'? That's purely a transition from one support environment to another.

Termination at birth is clearly 'killing a child', termination shortly after conception equally clearly not. At some point in time between the status changes. Almost everybody, including most American voters, agrees broadly with this and while they might disagree with where the cut off should be, agree there should be a cut off and terminations should be freely available before. It's entertaining to see someone so clear about their opinion, most 'pro-choice' extremists, cannot quite bring themselves to articulate it. And you find yourself at odds with Roe-v-Wade, which is quite ironic.

FWIW I think the Roe-v-Wade and Casey update were bad, because they created law that should have been written by legislatures in conjunction with medical and scientific advice and then tested for constitutionality. The court found a right to termination, which is fair enough, and that the state had an interest in the foetus, which is also fair enough, and then it tried to reconcile the contradiction. Properly a job for politicians accountable to the electorate.

FWIW2 we're on the way to similar controversy. The UK law needs revision to make it clear a pregnant woman has a right to a termination, and to bring the time limit back below viability. This would also bring the UK more into line with the rest of Europe, so I would expect wide support....
Any fool can see that I was not talking about termination at birth. That’s a particularly sick twisting of words coming from someone who once said that babies of left wingers should be aborted on the NHS!

It's not up to Biden. Article III, Section 1, of the Constitution gives Congress the authority to change the size of the Supreme Court. This means we are back to needing 60 votes to break a GOP Senate filibuster, and the votes aren't there. Even if the Dems vote unilaterally to suspend the filibuster, Manchin and Sinema don't support SC expansion, so the Dems don't even have the 50 votes needed for passage.
Gawd that filibuster sucks.

advertisement

Back