advertisement

Roe vs Wade overturned

290363941_10166712295570694_6966608595050311603_n.jpg

Enough said !

sorry, but I don’t think that’s the same thing, a school that promotes a constrained set of cultural values fails a definition of common good. Human values, yes. Christian values, no, no because the definition is selective, not universal. If the values are the same, if they are universal, why try to constrain them to a religious setting?

Because some people need the fear of hells fires to do the right thing.

This action of the supreme court in the USA and the reactions here and elsewhere have set my mind into a spin.

I was born in the mid fifties in England, "Out of Wedlock."

Should I create another thread and share my grim story
of woe and the religious connotations?

What became of my biological Mother is despicable, I recently discovered.

Perhaps I should create a discussion forum...

bornoutofwedlock.com

This domain does not exist at this time!!

Any advice or help Tony L?

Ducks and Covers...

Hits send.

Edit: https://www.google.com/search?q="Ou...VDKB_en-GBGB938GB938&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I think my partner hit the nail on the head when we discussed the latest horror show last night...

The (far) right is well-funded, well-organised and has both a clear strategic vision, and a keen eye for opportunistic tactical gains. The opposition (liberals, progressives, the left) appear to have none of these things, unfortunately.

Thus, the right has been able to overturn the post-war political and economic consensus over the course of several decades. Neoliberalism is now embedded as the new "common sense" in most western nations (especially the UK and the US) to such an extent that any attempt to challenge it is readily portrayed as dangerous extremism.

Having decisively shifted the economic and political debate, the right is now focused on reversing the cultural gains of the post-war era (equal rights for black people, women, LGBTQ+ etc.). Looking at the gestation period of the Supreme Court decision, and the way the right exploited the opportunity provided by Trump, it looks like they will be every bit as ruthless in this fight too.

I've sometimes made the mistake of thinking that the right use "culture war" issues to distract from the failure of its economic and political model to deliver benefits to the majority. I still think that's true but today, it could not be clearer that winning the culture war is also an end in its own right.

A dark day for humanity.

I think my partner hit the nail on the head when we discussed the latest horror show last night...

The (far) right is well-funded, well-organised and has both a clear strategic vision, and a keen eye for opportunistic tactical gains. The opposition (liberals, progressives, the left) appear to have none of these things, unfortunately.
"The right looks for recruits; the left looks for traitors."

I've sometimes made the mistake of thinking that the right use "culture war" issues to distract from the failure of its economic and political model to deliver benefits to the majority. I still think that's true but today, it could not be clearer that winning the culture war is also an end in its own right.

Far-right politics can’t survive without its scapegoats to demonise, its ‘purity’ to endorse, its ‘security’ to sell. Existential threats to outliers who are not in whatever is the current ‘master race’ definition has always been a core function. It is the product. What else could the Daily Mail or Fox News sell?

It surprises me they went all-out with misogyny first in the USA, though I guess it is already pretty much an apartheid state in practice. One only needs to look at the sheer number of police murders, the amount of black folk on death row or in jail, the ever increasing election gerrymandering etc. I suspect LGBTQ+ folk need to flee to the coasts right now. The fundamentalist red states are in no way a safe place and it looks like things will be getting a lot worse in those areas.

This isn’t a ‘culture war’. I’ve long felt those who use the term diminish a very real and terrifying threat. This is an escalating global war against white Christian fascism. I view it in the same light as radicalised Islam etc. It is all exactly the same toxic and irrational mindset and we’ve already found radicalised religion is even resistant to bombing. Countless people die, nations are left in ruins, but the craziness remains. I’ve no idea how one fights against this shit. It is beyond me.

Thus, the right has been able to overturn the post-war political and economic consensus over the course of several decades. Neoliberalism is now embedded as the new "common sense" in most western nations (especially the UK and the US) to such an extent that any attempt to challenge it is readily portrayed as dangerous extremism.

Having decisively shifted the economic and political debate, the right is now focused on reversing the cultural gains of the post-war era (equal rights for black people, women, LGBTQ+ etc.). Looking at the gestation period of the Supreme Court decision, and the way the right exploited the opportunity provided by Trump, it looks like they will be every bit as ruthless in this fight too.

A dark day for humanity.

Yes, agree 100%. The culture war warriors very much come from the neoliberal political and economic model that has become so embedded. I would argue that the culture war is also about nationalism, and hand in hand with the war against social justice is the war for a closed sense of national identity (that excludes black people, women, LGBQT+ etc) and that the strategic objective is to embed the current political and economic model even further, but also to control it and alter it to shed it of the last vestiges of social and environmental concerns so that it reflects a more industrial (Dickensian?) economic model fit for the modern world in which global financial opportunities can be appropriated without sharing.

The neoliberal political and economic model that underpins all this needs to be challenged if social and environmental justice is to avoid being trampled by vested interest.

The USA thanks to this decision has taken a massive step backwards. Sadly now the question is who will be the next target of the hate-filled Republican Religious Rightwinger? Will it be women again with a ban on contraception? Will it be gay people? Or will it be some other group the religious bigots decide to attack?

Far-right politics can’t survive without its scapegoats to demonise, its ‘purity’ to endorse, its ‘security’ to sell. Existential threats to outliers who are not in whatever is the current ‘master race’ definition has always been a core function. It is the product. What else could the Daily Mail or Fox News sell?

It surprises me they went all-out with misogyny first in the USA, though I guess it is already pretty much an apartheid state in practice. One only needs to look at the sheer number of police murders, the amount of black folk on death row or in jail, the ever increasing election gerrymandering etc. I suspect LGBTQ+ folk need to flee to the coasts right now. The fundamentalist red states are in no way a safe place and it looks like things will be getting a lot worse in those areas.

This isn’t a ‘culture war’. I’ve long felt those who use the term diminish a very real and terrifying threat. This is an escalating global war against white Christian fascism. I view it in the same light as radicalised Islam etc. It is all exactly the same toxic and irrational mindset and we’ve already found radicalised religion is even resistant to bombing. Countless people die, nations are left in ruins, but the craziness remains. I’ve no idea how one fights against this shit. It is beyond me.
Yes, maybe so. There's certainly a case for reserving the term "culture war" to vexatious trivialities designed to rile up right wing idiots (baa baa white sheep, and the like). The attack on minority rights is, as you say, more serious and an essential component of fascism.

Last edited:
Does anyone think this might backfire against the GOP in the Nov mid-term elections - bringing out more anti-GOP voters? It doesn't seem a very smart, orchestrated move by the GOP - have they lost control of the christofascist segment of their base in the same way as it appears MAGA is moving beyond Trump & becoming ultra-MAGA?

Does anyone think this might backfire against the GOP in the Nov mid-term elections - bringing out more anti-GOP voters?

I sincerely hope so! My guess is there will be a fair few women ‘shy Dems’ in GOP households who quietly want to keep their basic human rights even if they outwardly support the MAGA fundamentalism. Always impossible to predict religion though.

A dark day for humanity.
Excellent podcast on neoliberalism here https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/origin-story/id1624704966?i=1000565757073[URL]https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/origin-story/id1624704966?i=1000565757073[/URL]

Yes, agree 100%. The culture war warriors very much come from the neoliberal political and economic model that has become so embedded. I would argue that the culture war is also about nationalism, and hand in hand with the war against social justice is the war for a closed sense of national identity (that excludes black people, women, LGBQT+ etc) and that the strategic objective is to embed the current political and economic model even further, but also to control it and alter it to shed it of the last vestiges of social and environmental concerns so that it reflects a more industrial (Dickensian?) economic model fit for the modern world in which global financial opportunities can be appropriated without sharing.

The neoliberal political and economic model that underpins all this needs to be challenged if social and environmental justice is to avoid being trampled by vested interest.

Reminds me of the "ratchet" theory of how societies are shifted towards authoritarianism. Small, incremental steps are taken to ensure that any "gains" are locked-in and cannot be reversed by the opposition. Hence the attention on "modernising" our Human Rights in the UK, the desire to dismantle union power, free health care, parliamentary democracy, social security, courts of justice...anything that makes the populace feel safe, secure and empowered must be attacked, privatised, neutered and eroded until it presents no threat.

I agree about the need to resist.

Does anyone think this might backfire against the GOP in the Nov mid-term elections - bringing out more anti-GOP voters? It doesn't seem a very smart, orchestrated move by the GOP - have they lost control of the christofascist segment of their base in the same way as it appears MAGA is moving beyond Trump & becoming ultra-MAGA?

It might, but there are only a few senate and congressional seats that could flip. Even at the state level, things are pretty well set, i.e. a state is either red or blue, with a few exceptions.

In the longer run, I can definitely see it backfiring in an economic sense. Much of the housing boom in the mountain west is fueled by wealth west coasters moving out of big cities to a more rural, redder setting. I could see new migration back to blue states. In states like Texas, large corporations, e.g. Apple, are going to have a hard time getting talent to move to Austin. There might even be a general economic boycott against red state corporations and businesses.

Hopefully yes, but with the added factor of Republican gerrymandering and voter suppression it makes the chance slimmer.

The problem here is also that people may be so pissed off with politicians and courts that they won't vote. Democrats need to stop being so nice and use the same tactics as Republicans and also find a leader who can motivate the masses in the way Trump did. Not sure who they have in the stable though, I had hopes for Kamila Harris but she isn't proving out in my view.

Let's think positive about November though!

advertisement

Back