advertisement

rodrigo y gabriela

alindsay

pfm Member
I watched a very good live video of them on an AF longhaul flight recently, but missed the credits. Can anybody recommend a CD to explore their music further? Thanks

They have lots of good stuff - never a duff one. It is wonderful, but eventually becomes a bit wearing.

The original 2006 eponymous first album. Then Live in Japan. There is a more recent live one but I have not heard it.
Even my kids were stunned by 'Tamacun' on the first album.

I second the above post. Two albums is about it as they get very samey after that. Great fun though....

They did a Glastonbury and the guy played the slide guitar bit from Wish You Were Here (you know the one) using a half full beer bottle. You might find it online somewhere.

Saw them supporting David Gray many years ago. A stunning watch but never felt I wanted to hear them again.

Very fun to listen to for about 10 minutes. Check out Friday night in San Francisco by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucia for a wonderful 40 minutes of gold! They all play so bloody well!

Saw then at The Academy in Glasgow a few years ago and they were excellent live.
Bought the first two albums but now only tend to use them as "demo" pieces when auditioning new kit.

Very fun to listen to for about 10 minutes. Check out Friday night in San Francisco by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucia for a wonderful 40 minutes of gold! They all play so bloody well!
Don't want to thread-jack but R & G are great but do get a tad samey after a while. FNISF is THE definitive (live) acoustic guitar album IMHO. I have the original vinyl and it doesn't disappoint. For something more gentle and equally beautiful I might I suggest another of their albums Passion, Grace & Fire? The title pretty much sums it up. Without sounding like a totally smug git I've also got this on original vinyl and it might be time to fire up the LP12 . . . :)
And then, of course, there is Antonio Forcione (with or without Eduardo Niebla) who I was lucky to see/hear at the Bulls Head in Barnes back in the day. Here's something quite different to the above but you might like it . . .
Thank you and good night.

R&G are something I tend to just dip into now and again. Outrageously talented but just 'too much' for an extended listen. Tamacun and their take on Stairway to Heaven are pretty jaw - dropping.

Check out Friday night in San Francisco by Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucia for a wonderful 40 minutes of gold! They all play so bloody well!

I don’t like that record, it’s rather too much like guitar-playing as a competitive sport for my taste. The whooping audience gets on my nerves too. But yes, they certainly all play bloody well. Understatement.

Last edited:
That R & G shown in the link above is of stunning s.q.. To be fair, considering it's two very talented musicians emulating a band, the variation in the tracks is commendable. I've had my money's worth out of my copy !:)

I’m playing R&G - 9 Dead Alive at the moment. Really excellent and rather more varied than their other stuff.

I wasn’t aware of it until I found it on Roon.

Too much for an album these days but their performance of One / Take 5 from Live In Manchester is stunning. Seen them live and they were fantastic.

advertisement

Back