advertisement

Rod Elliott (ESP) Project 3A power amp?

a.palfreyman

pfm Member
Hi Guys,
Anyone on the forum built this power amp?
Looks a good compact design.
How is it to build, and what's the sound like?
Thanks,
AP

Hi Greg,
Yes, just what I thought, and thanks.
Did you keep it long or was it replaced? I am using a re capped/modded Ion Obelisk 3 and wondered if the ESP was a reasonable "step-up"? Thought about building a NCC200 based amp, but don't need the power (the 40W/ch I have is more than eneough).
Thanks,
AP
PS: What pre-amp did you use? The input level seems about right for CD with just a vol pot up front.

hi a.palfreyman,

I built an AKSA 55 at the same time as the P3A and preferrred the AKSA, so the P3A sits in the cupboard. An issue with the P3A is I imagine each one sounds a bit different because of the various components being used in construction. Look for threads on the P3A, they are numerous.

I haven't heard a Ion Obelisk 3 or NCC200 so can't offer an opinion.

I usually don't use a preamp, but when I do, I have a valve pre that's really just a buffer, A < 1.

regards

I've tried the P3A, Aksa N+ and NCC200.
I personally liked the NCC200 the best, their all easy to build

Bare pcbs available for the NCC200 and P3A, the Aksa come as built modules, the NCC200 is also available as built modules

If anyone wants to build one of these amps I have a full set of output devices.

I got them as free samples from On Semi so you can have them for the cost of postage plus a donation to the site.

Paul.

Hi Guys,
Thanks all for the info. Very useful as ever. I want to build something that won't disappoint after a short period and the comments on here about the NCC200s have been excellent.
I will have to give this some thought, especially as I am only just down the road from Chesterfield.
Thanks again,
AP

advertisement

Back