advertisement

Rock. Defined in 5 Albums.

Electric Ladyland - Jimi
LZ3
DSOTM - Pink Floyd
Live & Dangerous - Thin Lizzy
Nevermind - Nirvana

The problem is that Rock has never been one thing - there have always been different varients running side by side.I think, as couple of posts have noted, you have to include the Velvet Underground who did, IMO, draw on a different tradition to mix with those that influenced The Beatles/Stones etc. In many ways their influence has been just as pervasive and, for me, is seen in much of the more interesting music of the past 40 years. I think the Banana record has been more influential than anything Hendrix recorded - much as I love Hendrix. Look at any ATP bill, for example.

So an alternative rock tradition may run something like -

Velvet Underground and Nico
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Patti Smith - Horses
PIL - Metal Box
Radiohead - Kid A

Still Rock with guitars, bass and drums, but using the rules in a different way.

Should we note that women don't figure much in many of these lists?

Kevin

Taking out Public Image, adding in Husker Du, Zen Arcade

So an alternative rock tradition may run something like -

Velvet Underground and Nico
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Patti Smith - Horses
PIL - Metal Box
Radiohead - Kid A

Should we note that women don't figure much in many of these lists?

Kevin

Can I swap Radiohead for Sonic Youth? -Sister, Evol, Goo!, or maybe Washing Machine?
If I may I'd like to exchange The Captain for 'Unknown Pleasures' (Joy Division).

Regards,

Klyde

white stripes well worth a mention.
I can think of all sorts of genres the WS could fit, but rock isn't one of them!

For my top 5 classic rock albums in no particular order, it'll have to be:

Led Zeppelin II
AC/DC Back in Black
Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction
Deep Purple Machine Head
Black Sabbath Paranoid (borderline metal)

An honourable mention should also go to Grand Funk Railroad Caught in the Act Live.

James

sorry guys (cos you all are!)

made in japan - deep purple
physical graffitti - led zeppelin
pink floyd - wish you were here
beatles - abbey road
a best of by the stones
radiohead - the bends

- Oh yes - And I forgot to mention I have been officially deemed deaf by individuals in this forum!

ps weather report - heavy weather is remarkable 'but not so 'rock'.

Are we agreed on Led Zep?...and Beatles if so we are down to 3...has to be Nirvana afterwards or the Clash-GnR too but Nirvana seemed to halt there domination Radiohead are still an unknown quantity but their legacy after in rainbows I think will be great....what about the darkness,extreme,skid row and Wings (the band the Beatles could have been).:D...so glad to hear in another thread that theres a few who hate Imagine...I really hate that song...rather listen to the Go Compare ad...or Wings.

although we're all agreed on zep, many seem to find it hard to decide which zep to choose... i think it simply has to be the original. If only because everything that followed (e.g. 2, 3, 4 etc) were variations on that style, and although each utterly superb, brough nothing fresh to the mix that zeppelin hadnt covered in the first album. It's therefore surely the one that defined that era of rock?

I haven't heard most of the bands mentioned after about 1975, but that was my original point.
I'm still happily exploring backwards, finding music that was around when I was a kid and before. It works for me. Much current 'rock', just doesn't appeal. I don't know why, it just doesn't.

And yes, Zep were innovators. Their first was a true revelation. It was of course clearly based in blues (with a nod to folk) but it wasn't a blues album, it was a full on, wailing, screaming rock album. By Zep 3 I was bored. They did it all with the first.

Mull

Its the nod to folk that I like hence loving Led Zep 3 and Houses of the Holy...but agree Led Zep 1 would be in the top 5 above the rest closely followed by Led Zep 2.....off to listen to Since I bin luvin you!

MC5 - Kick out the Jams
Iggy Pop and the Stooges - 1969
Beatles - Rubber Soul
Miles Davis - Jack Johnson (yes, it is a rock album - listen to the solo at the start)
Jimi Hendrix - Are you experienced?

Hi Colin

taking your question more literally I would plump for:

thin lizzy live and dangerous
ACDC if you want blood
the who - live at leeds
Slade - alive

these albums capture the essence of a band rocking out on a special night where it all comes together - and thus pretty much sum up 'rock' for me.

advertisement

Back