advertisement

Rock. Defined in 5 Albums.

Appetite for Destruction by Guns n Roses has to be in a 5 somewhere, I'm still pondering the other 4 one of which will be AC/DC just not sure which album...

I know it is a broad subject but in particular, the early (true) rock bands have been completely missed on this thread. What about Ten Years After with the truly great Alvin Lee? Savoy Brown? The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown? From the USA there was The Sunliners - who later became Rare Earth. All these early rock bands could be said to have helped shape the genre so that by the time Bowie and the like got involved, it was totally accepted as "Rock" in its own right.

not sure how i stumbled on this thread, its one of the best!
for an almost 50 yo brought up on LZ, Bob, Pink Floyd, the Stones,Eric, Carlos,Van the man (yes Rock!) then a patchy period thru the late 80s and 90s, i have enjoyed reading the many 'lists' offered
Gone out and checked out some bands i hadnt heard of
Listening to Wilco now - what a good band!! never mind that it wont make too many 'lists'
Thanks guys
S

I think Gassor is the only person in 5 pages that has acknowledged the existence of the 1990s with the Grunge movement.
As long as there are Saturday mornings there has to be Grunge - when you slam it on, pull on your jeans, jump in a car with your mates and get 5 miles from home before you even begin to decide where you are going.

Smashing Pumpkins my friends. The spirit of rock in the 1990s in one easy package.

It's Saturday morning, so turn this up and capture the memory.

Now go back to your lists and start over

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need 5 albums all you need is :
Andy Partridge - The History Of Rock'n'roll
from the Morgan Fisher album - Miniatures

not sure how i stumbled on this thread, its one of the best!
for an almost 50 yo brought up on LZ, Bob, Pink Floyd, the Stones,Eric, Carlos,Van the man (yes Rock!) then a patchy period thru the late 80s and 90s, i have enjoyed reading the many 'lists' offered
Gone out and checked out some bands i hadnt heard of
Listening to Wilco now - what a good band!! never mind that it wont make too many 'lists'
Thanks guys
S

Check out Summerteeth, one of my favourite albums and recently re-released on vinyl as the original was almost impossible to find.

If it's albums I keep coming back to then I'll take these 5 to my island then....

Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix
London Calling - The Clash
Revolver - The Beatles
Hemispheres - Rush
In Absentia - Porcupine Tree

Any stones album upto 72
any hendrix album
alice cooper schools out
SEX PISTOLS nevmind.....
pil metal box.

The Melvins were at the heart of many of more successful grunge bands - only one mention of Nirvana!
Also Metallica have been around for a very long time and Master of Puppets would give The Maids and Alice Copper a run for their money for a place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JXKnyqYEA4

....2008 and still on the money.

Si

some great suggestions here... i agree of course, that led zep gives us the late 60's and 70's... ac/dc bringing us through the 80s and 90s but not many suggestion here for up to date influences of rock music.

My suggestion to add to the growing list would be.... "the white stripes"

A lot of what they are doing (and what Jack White has gone off to do, e.g. raconteurs) has shaped what rock music sounds like today. Its hard to listen to the black keys, crooked vultures, queens of the stone age etc, without wondering if theres a bit of a white stripes influence in there.

some great suggestions here... i agree of course, that led zep gives us the late 60's and 70's... ac/dc bringing us through the 80s and 90s but not many suggestion here for up to date influences of rock music.

My suggestion to add to the growing list would be.... "the white stripes"

A lot of what they are doing (and what Jack White has gone off to do, e.g. raconteurs) has shaped what rock music sounds like today. Its hard to listen to the black keys, crooked vultures, queens of the stone age etc, without wondering if theres a bit of a white stripes influence in there.

QOTSA and White Stripes were formed in the same year (1997) so I don't know how much of an influence one was on the other. Josh Homme must have written about five of the best rock songs in the last ten years though and Jack White has written a couple.

1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins is one of my favourite songs and the usual suspects Nirvana and Pearl Jam cover the grunge thing pretty well.

advertisement

Back