advertisement

Rock. Defined in 5 Albums.

Of course it is rock. Rock not all about "Black night is a long way from home" Rock has a central core eg LZ, AC/DC, Doors, Stones, but also boundaries which define it and Astral Weeks shows how rock connects with and reaches out to other genres like folk and jazz while showing a spontaneity which is still unrivaled. Possibly the finest rock album ever and he is still a moaning old bastard.

Interesting thread.
I'd never thought of the Doors as rock. At least not in the way that the Stones or LZ are recognizably rock.

My apologies to you Guy's in the UK, but what about:

Little Richard
Howlin Wolf
Elvis Presley
Ray Charles
Jerry Lee Lewis

None of these founders have been mentioned in the thread.

Dylan is folk.

Louballoo

Little Richard
Howlin Wolf
Elvis Presley
Ray Charles
Jerry Lee Lewis

Dylan is folk.

Louballoo

Ray Charles is Jazz / Soul / Country & Western but defintiely not rock. At least Bob breaks up the intemrinable whine of his albums with some rock and roll noises (esp during his 'speed' period).

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

The Fall - Slates

The Clash - London Calling

New Order - Low Life

The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Rolling Stones Let it Bleed

Amon Dull Yeti

The Stooges

New York Dolls New York Dolls

The Smiths Meat is Murder

Wanted to put Joy Division and the Velvet Underground in there, but couldn't manage it. The Pixies have to be in as well. 5 Just isn't enough!

Little Richard
Howlin Wolf
Elvis Presley
Ray Charles
Jerry Lee Lewis

Dylan is folk.

Louballoo

This thread is about 'Rock'. Not R&R, R&B, Soul, Jazz etc. But 'Rock'.

The term 'Rock', as I recall, emerged in the late 60's to describe a genre which was a synthesis of many influences including R&R, R&B, Blues and even to some extent Soul, Jazz, Folk and Country. It was all of those things, but none of them.
Typically played by loud, guitar based, amplified bands, but also often adding in keyboards, strings or wind instruments. The minimum was usually Lead and Bass Geetar and drums.
My contention is that it was all pretty much said and done in the albums I quoted, but 'other opinions are available'. :)

Mull

PS. Which was the first true 'Rock' band?

That mostly means loud bands with at least

Its often argued (absolutely rightly too imo) that Elvis can be said to have been the first to release a Rock album (without doubt its either this, or one by the 50's musicians mentioned, Little Richard etc). So definitely 50's is its birth (& therefore surely one of the first MUST be top of the list). Of course it stemmed from Blues ranging back ~50+ yrs earlier, but it certainly wasn't rock until, imo, Elvis culminated a sound with -most importantly- the attitude/swagger/sex appeal that was unique.. and the very essence of Rock.

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
The Stooges - Fun House
The Pixies - Doolittle
Alice Cooper - Killer

Its often argued (absolutely rightly too imo) that Elvis can be said to have been the first to release a Rock album (without doubt its either this, or one by the 50's musicians mentioned, Little Richard etc). So definitely 50's is its birth (& therefore surely one of the first MUST be top of the list). Of course it stemmed from Blues ranging back ~50+ yrs earlier, but it certainly wasn't rock until, imo, Elvis culminated a sound with -most importantly- the attitude/swagger/sex appeal that was unique.. and the very essence of Rock.

I think most folk here seem to define 'rock' as long haired white middle-class English groups playing blues music with distorted guitars and a bit of a 'bad boy' image. In which case it's probably the combination of The Rolling Stones and The Who that kicked it off. I'd argue that they weren't doing anything much that John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters etc hadn't done a damn site better a long time before, but they just don't fit the blueprint and didn't rely on theatrics. The next evolutionary step for blues-based rock was Hendrix, and from then it was then all down hill - Hendrix defined the 'guitar hero' aspect of rock and no one has got even close since IMO. Nearly all the interesting stuff that has arrived since drew it's influence from outside of blues structures e.g. Krautrock, punk, new-wave, grunge, post-rock etc. A whole different musical language.

Tony.

Yes i see the point. But still, just the words Elvis (or Bo Diddley/ Jerry Lee L/ Little Richard as egs, albeit not as definitive as Elvis imo) and Rock n Roll are so synonymous I just cant see how he can be anything but included.

(Or are we splitting Rock n Roll into just "Rock" for this?- don't see the logic myself).

If its just white growlers with beards.. then its LZ/ Cream/ Who.. zzzzzzzzzz.. all great great but they didn't innovate (turning s'thing louder as Cream & LZ did with the Blues is not innovation its wholly derivitive. Hendrix playing style was highly unusual.. but musically speaking I'd argue it wasn't new its again, still loud Blues. as The Who were in the most part apart from the rockopera silly stuff- now that was musically different and spawned a new path at least). The Stones are my alltime best Rock band perhaps, but again they didn't do anything new musically.. they just did it BETTER.

The problem is that Rock has never been one thing - there have always been different varients running side by side.I think, as couple of posts have noted, you have to include the Velvet Underground who did, IMO, draw on a different tradition to mix with those that influenced The Beatles/Stones etc. In many ways their influence has been just as pervasive and, for me, is seen in much of the more interesting music of the past 40 years. I think the Banana record has been more influential than anything Hendrix recorded - much as I love Hendrix. Look at any ATP bill, for example.

So an alternative rock tradition may run something like -

Velvet Underground and Nico
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Patti Smith - Horses
PIL - Metal Box
Radiohead - Kid A

Still Rock with guitars, bass and drums, but using the rules in a different way.

Should we note that women don't figure much in many of these lists?

Kevin

advertisement

Back