advertisement

Robert Wyatt has undergone a Major Operation

jackbarron

Chelsea, London
Dave Larder has posted a message on Facebook's Robert Wyatt page today.

"Late last night, Alfie advised me that Robert has undergone a quite major operation and is expected to be recovering in hospital for some time," he said.

"It’s not the intention to elaborate further on the type of operation.

"I have of course passed our love and prayers to both of them."

I hope Mr Wyatt pulls through.

Jack

Last edited:
I interviewed Robert twice in the mid-80s in the West London ground floor flat he had with Alfie.

Jerry Dammers and the Zimbabwean musician Richard Muzira were there on the second occasion. It was a sunny day and we did the interview at the table in the garden.

This was to mark The Wind of Change by Robert, The Swapo Singers and various musicians. The latter was produced by Jerry Dammers.

Robert and Alfie were great to talk to and very accomodating. They both knew a lot about music, lyric writing and politics, so it was a bit of an education for me.

Some of the albums they have been involved with like Rock Botton and Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard are real milestones.

I saw Robert perform with Soft Machine a few times and also Matching Mole. He was a fantastic live drummer and his voice is a one-off.

Like I said earlier, I hope he pulls through.

Jack

Last edited:
I dread news like this, about people who have shed light in some meaningful way through my adult life. Here’s hoping he pulls through soon, and Nothing Can Stop Him.

Agreed about RW’s drumming, frequently overlooked. I wish I’d experienced Matching Mole live if only for that reason. I probably have the interviews you’re talking about, Jack, cut out and slipped inside one of his LPs, probably Old Rotten Hat. Ah, the things we did before the net.....

Agree about the drumming. The first time I saw Soft Machine I was amazed at how small his kit was and what good use he made of it. Hope all is well for Robert and Alfie.

I hope he's OK. He was a regular at Louth Jazz Club in the 90s. You still see him round town on market days, or did when I used to visit the place 8 or 10years ago.

Interesting news here on Robert’s and Alfie’s latest publication, as well as news of back catalogue reissues on vinyl:

https://www.thewire.co.uk/news/58542/robert-wyatt-alfie-benge-publish-side-by-side

The book includes lyrics, poems, writings and drawings.

What Eno has to say about the way Robert and Alfie write songs is interesting.

“Whenever an aspiring musician asks me about songwriting I point them towards Robert and Alfie. Their work is so unusual, so perceptive, so playful and so grown-up... well, I don’t think there's really anyone to compare. If you want songs that touch your mind as well as your heart, these are the best. Wide distribution of this book could improve the state of music dramatically.”

Jack

Interesting news here on Robert’s and Alfie’s latest publication, as well as news of back catalogue reissues on vinyl:

https://www.thewire.co.uk/news/58542/robert-wyatt-alfie-benge-publish-side-by-side
Potentially interesting RW collaboration just about to see the light of day with Mary Halvorson:

https://www.thewire.co.uk/news/

Thankfully Robert’s health appears to be improving.

Thanks for those links Graham and it's good news that Robert's health is improving.

advertisement

Back