advertisement

Robert Quine RIP

sideshowbob

Champagne fascia aficionado
Great and underrated guitarist, with Richard Hell & The Voidoids, Blue Mask-era Lou Reed, Brian Eno, John Zorn, and hundreds of other people, has died, apparently suicide. Very sad, he was a magnificent angular guitarist (check his album with Fred Maher, Basic), and, almost as important, recorded virtually every US performance of the Velvet Underground post-Cale (some of which were released a couple of years ago by Polydor, as The Velvet Underground Bootleg Series Vol. 1: The Quine Tapes). Always happier to appear on other people's records than front his own, so probably never got the recognition he deserved. I'll be spinning The Voidoid's Blank Generation album in memory of him.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/quine.html

-- Ian

Really sad news, but a superb site that you linked to - a few mouse clicks and you are in the presence of a Residents or Michael Rother interview! I'm off to have a further look round...

Tony.

I'm surprised you didn't already know it! Perfect Sound Forever is an ace site, and even has a column devoted to the wonders of vinyl (The Vinyl Anachronist).

-- Ian

Shame.

He played some really great scronky and gnarly lead guitar for Matthew Sweet, sometimes joined by the also excellent Fred Smith who used to be in Television.

I think they're on Girlfriend and 100% Fun, worthwhile post-grunge power pop albums both.

advertisement

Back