advertisement

Robbie Robertson - How To Become Clairvoyant

bor

queue jumper
This is the fifth solo work from Robertson, but follows strictly in the vein of The Band, and his first two solo Albums.

Fairly conventional, I have to say, and sadly includes an appearance from the sterile Eric clapton. Nothing particular stands out on this recording, although "This Is Where I Get Off" is a poignant track about his exit from The Band.

For fans of The Band, it could be worth checking out, but after the excellent Music For The Native Americans, and the superb Greetings From The Underworld Of Redboy, it's disappointingly mainstream for me.

On the track Axman we have the verse:

You got Duane and Stevie Ray
Brothers of the blade
Jimi James and RJ
all brothers of the blade

Anyone got an idea who RJ is?

I think the album is great. Certainly recognizably Bandish. Interesting observations on American culture and original tunes well recorded.

Simon,
Your probably right. I didn't think he would qualify as an 'axeman'.
And thanks also that gentleman for the pm, wishing to avoid me embarrassment.

David

This is the fifth solo work from Robertson, but follows strictly in the vein of The Band, and his first two solo Albums.

Fairly conventional, I have to say, and sadly includes an appearance from the sterile Eric clapton. Nothing particular stands out on this recording, although "This Is Where I Get Off" is a poignant track about his exit from The Band.

For fans of The Band, it could be worth checking out, but after the excellent Music For The Native Americans, and the superb Greetings From The Underworld Of Redboy, it's disappointingly mainstream for me.

Try as I might, with repeated plays, it comes across as rather dull and with a "the third album in the contract" sound.
Errol.

There is a second disc with my copy, which seems to be outakes and demos. I put this on by mistake, a couple of days ago, but I actually prefered its slightly rougher, unpolished sound.

Another good album that's had the soul ripped out of it with a glossy production.

advertisement

Back