advertisement

Rob Burrows

Woodface

pfm Member
I don't know whether there are any Rugby League fans on here but I heard a couple of weeks ago that Rob Burrows has been diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease. He was interviewed on Sky Sports earlier today, just so devastated for him. Physically he is still just about OK but his voice is going & the decline is likely to be pretty steep.

The press are already speculating about whether the prevalence of brain injuries in Rugby echoes that in football re. dementia. Idiots. AFAIK, MND is genetic, not something you can 'catch' through trauma.

The press are already speculating about whether the prevalence of brain injuries in Rugby echoes that in football re. dementia. Idiots. AFAIK, MND is genetic, not something you can 'catch' through trauma.
Yes, I can understand why the press would do that, who knows the science may change ;) Someone somewhere will be using statistics to make an assumption of causation.

As per gin’s response, I too was surprised at the possible causes when I read about it the other week

An awful thing to have. My wife’s uncle suffered in his 60’s, always a big, strong, fun fella prior to that. Very sad.

Would that be the same for M Ali and Parkinson's? I.e. Attributing this condition to repeated and sustcranial and neural impacts? As it is considered genetic, I am guessing that the above batterings cant't affect the getting of MND, but thats not to say they aren't a factor in the development spread and progress of the disease in those genetically pre disposed? That it is prevelant in men adds weight to the sport-caused hypotheses.

I lost one friend years ago to MND and it was a rapid and sad decline and demise. I do recall there are several different types of MND and not all are fast. Stephen Hawking I believe had one slow type.

A quick read suggests that experts believe MND is approx 10% hereditary, 90% random. National Institute of Neurological and Stroke note that genetic, toxic, viral and other environmental factors may play a role. So we should not dismiss out of hand the other factors - including cranial traumas.

One of those areas of medicine where big data and AI (machine accelerated learning) can offer insights by collating and cross correlating research and clinical observations from sufferers all over the world looking for links and patterns.

Anyway its very sad for a young man and his family.

He is only 37. If there is a link found to head trauma in sports people that will be very good from a funding perspective, I appreciate that this may appear slightly cynical but if noted people suffer money tends to be raised.

Rubgy League players earn a decent living but nothing like footballers, it is still quite a parochial sport in many ways & I always admire the character of thise involved.

My Mother had MND in 1974 and 1976 - before the days of easy access to knowledge, the worst thing was not knowing, the GP had some knowledge but it was not easily distributed. Also care of the sufferer was dificult, and eventually communication with her became very difficult. No laptops to utilise, any machine approaching this type of capability was relatively huge and expensive. She spent her last 6 months or so in a care facility that was the town's asylum a few years previously.

My Mother had MND in 1974 and 1976 - before the days of easy access to knowledge, the worst thing was not knowing, the GP had some knowledge but it was not easily distributed. Also care of the sufferer was dificult, and eventually communication with her became very difficult. No laptops to utilise, any machine approaching this type of capability was relatively huge and expensive. She spent her last 6 months or so in a care facility that was the town's asylum a few years previously.

Sorry for your past loss to MND and the challenges that presented at that time.

With all the furore about thr state of NHS and healthcare, your post is a salutary reminder to us of how far we have come in last 40 odd years for the treating and caring of these diseases. Plus the massive advancement of technology and comms we now have access to,

I also heard about it when he first announced it. It’s really sad. I’ve lived in the north west for 20 years and have, since I was a boy, been a supporter of Wigan (as well as continuing to love Union).

Rob Burrows was one of the greatest players I’ve had the of watching play. It’s a really tough game and while the very top players earn a reasonable living, in reality they don’t earn anywhere near Union players. That he did so as a small guy in the cauldron of that era at Leeds is testament to his extraordinary talent.

I’m not convinced the game is a cause - we’d surely have heard of more by now - but I do hope the game continues to support him and his family. Remember that League does not enjoy the monied establishment support of Union and so his story may not be do well publicised as Doddie Weir’s.

I also heard about it when he first announced it. It’s really sad. I’ve lived in the north west for 20 years and have, since I was a boy, been a supporter of Wigan (as well as continuing to love Union).

Rob Burrows was one of the greatest players I’ve had the of watching play. It’s a really tough game and while the very top players earn a reasonable living, in reality they don’t earn anywhere near Union players. That he did so as a small guy in the cauldron of that era at Leeds is testament to his extraordinary talent.

I’m not convinced the game is a cause - we’d surely have heard of more by now - but I do hope the game continues to support him and his family. Remember that League does not enjoy the monied establishment support of Union and so his story may not be do well publicised as Doddie Weir’s.
Sky are sending him to America to watch the Superbowl (or similar) the look of joy on his face was wonderful.

Known a good number with mnd, horrible disease that needs a huge amount of input from expert professionals. Hope this chap will get all the support he needs. One of my work colleagues self diagnosed and we never saw her again after she flew to you know where.

advertisement

Back