advertisement

RM Williams Clothing and footwear

Michael L

pfm Member
I've just bought another pair of their Mallee Workboot; not cheap, but extremely well made and very durable.

Bought my first pair 5-6 years ago and wore them frequenlty, they've just given up the ghost quite likely because I had them resoled by another firm.

Anyone else like their stuff?

good boots.

I've been schlepping around in successive pairs of Blundstones since 1996, now will have to wear RMs as Blundstone have decided to manufacture using south east asian sweatshops and the quality has dropped through the floor.

course, you need to be careful what you pair them with, or folk will think you've stepped straight out of the Deniliquin Ute Muster.

AC/DC optional.

watermark.php

although there is some evidence that an RM t-shirt will have sharons sticking to you like, well sticky things.

index.php

Very nice. Are these what one wears when venturing down to the servant's quarters to inform the stable boy to muck out the horses?

I'm afraid I've no time for expensive work boots, because if you use them in an actual harsh work environment then they don't last more than 9/10 months, no matter how expensive they are. Best approach is just to find something that's comfortable for 9-10 hours a day and just accept they'll fall apart as quick as the rest.

I noticed that Timberland have a very good looking blundstone style boot this season. I know chave alert, but they really are a very nice and well made boot.

I need some new boots for mucking about in so I'll check out RMW although it's more likely I'll go for a Macquarie, the Mallee has soles which are too chunky for my taste - probably OK for the colonies but not here.

Personal favourites though are Loake 290s.

I've got five or six pairs of RMW boots, and all are in (reasonably) regular use - the oldest pair just turned 10 and has been re-soled four times. The upper is getting a bit thin though - very comfy although I doubt I'll get more than another 3 or 4 years out of them. I've no qualms about using a regular high-street chain for re-soling - Timpson have been doing mine for a bit as the original leather soles wore out very quickly. I guess your experience will depend on the ability and attitude of whomever does the work in a chain.

Otherwise, the Yard boot is very durable albeit a bit uncomfortable unless you get a good fit (as it doesn't flex much) and the dress boots are very nice indeed (although having paid more for the 'yearling' leather I don't think it's any better than the standard leather.

I must buy another pair, they are pretty decent boots.

good boots.

I've been schlepping around in successive pairs of Blundstones since 1996, now will have to wear RMs as Blundstone have decided to manufacture using south east asian sweatshops and the quality has dropped through the floor.

course, you need to be careful what you pair them with, or folk will think you've stepped straight out of the Deniliquin Ute Muster.

AC/DC optional.

watermark.php

although there is some evidence that an RM t-shirt will have sharons sticking to you like, well sticky things.

index.php

Are there any angry boys here?

I've just bought another pair of their Mallee Workboot; not cheap, but extremely well made and very durable.

Bought my first pair 5-6 years ago and wore them frequently, they've just given up the ghost quite likely because I had them resoled by another firm.

Anyone else like their stuff?

For interest, these boots have been worn a great deal and the sole is only now showing signs of failing.
Annoyingly, they're not made any more and the "replacement" model just doesn't fit me.

I've got a couple of pairs of their boots which have lasted very well. I also have had jeans and shirts - all good quality and long-lasting. Definitely a cut above Timberland or Orvis.

I’ve a pair of their jeans I bought ten years ago in Oz. I just threw out the shirt I bought at the same time but the jeans are still going strong.

I am still wearing a pair of RMW Yard Boots that I bought in 2000. Another pair of RMW Craftsman (yearling) boots are going strong since 2001 (albeit the upper is starting to get very thin). I have a couple of other pairs, chestnut Craftsman with leather sole which doesn't get so much use (2000) and the pair of RMWs I actually wore on my honeymoon in 2003. So, yeah, all going strong so a big thumbs up from me.

I hope my defection to C&J footwear works out as well!!

I've had three pairs of their boots and like them, however when I last went to buy another pair the price had shot up to somewhere around £350 (from around £240) I think that's way too much and I've gone back to DM's and Solovair which are admittedly less good and not made of one piece leather, but they will do for now.

I love Chelsea boots. They are pretty much all I've worn, apart from in the summer, for the last twenty years.

I've yet to try blundstone or red wing, anyone tried these?

advertisement

Back