advertisement

Ripping vinyl with Behringer uca202 and Magix software

molee

pfm Member
I used to rip vinyl, connecting tt rca's to the back of my pc into a magix software thingamy, getting a .vip file. Now I have a latop without rca inputs-can I use the Behringer to feed an adc signal via usb to rip vinyl? I can't get it to work at the moment-if its a software thing can I use some other software with the Behringer to get the job done? Thanks for any help.

I only have very limited experience so far, but I use a uca202 into my netbook usb, and audacity to do the recording etc. Seems to work well, once I found that I had to tell my netbook that the behringer was actually stereo, not the mono microphone it assumed it was=)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ I use the 1.3 beta version on my win7 netbook. Oh, and it's free....which is nice.

Not getting anywhere much with this. Sound coming through very distorted and cant seem to adjust input level on Audacity (it tells me to use system mixer). I am putting the turntable through phono stage then to Behringer-I assume this is correct? Any help gratefully received.

The output from the phono stage is too strong, and is overloading the input stage of the 202.

You need attenuators on the phono output. Try connecting a 10k pot with the track across the phono output, and the wiper connected to the 202 input. You will need two for stereo.

Alternatively you could connect the phono stage as usual to your amp, and use the tape out sockets to feed the 202, if the amp has such sockets.

Alternatively swap the 202 for a UA25, which has gain controls on the inputs.

JC

This doesn't answer any of your questions, but I had exactly the same problem trying to use audacity - I could never get the levels right. Maybe I could have solved it, but the whole thing was getting too time consuming for such a simple task.

In the end I gave up and bought a cheap 2nd hand Pioneer CD recorder (put a wanted ad here). It makes really excellent .wmv recordings and isn't much different to using a cassette deck.

A better alternative to the UCA202, for digitising vinyl, is the UFO202 . . .

Behringer UFO202

The difference is that whilst the uca202 is a line level only device, and therefore must be used with a phono stage, the ufo202 has a built-in phono stage of it's own, so you can connect the record player cartridge output leads directly into the ufo202, without requiring a separate phono stage.

This avoids the levels mis-match which you have at the moment.

The cost is about the same, around £30, and it comes with all the necessary software provided.

It is suitable for MM carts, not MC carts.

Hope this helps.

JC

Thanks JCBRUM. I have a LOMC so it looks like the ufo is out. I am not sure that I am adjusting the input level at all as I am told by Audacity to use something else to get the job done. I don't think I will be staying up too late worrying about this.

I used mine plugged into my preamp and use its 2nd set of pre-outs to my netbook. Seems to work well, and gives me greater control of levels.

advertisement

Back