Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ripped off by gov approved covid test company

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richardg, May 10, 2021.

1. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

They are doing rapid tests at passport control. 35 quid if I remember. But I brought one with me from the same day, so did not need to pay.

2. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I think the day 2 and 8 thing requires PCR testing, not rapid tests.

3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Well currently it is illegal to cross the channel as a holiday maker!
    As far as I am aware hauliers are not required to take a test among many other workers.
    So there must be a tiny fraction of the usual traffic.

4. Bob McC

It does.

5. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

the day 2 8 test needs to get in the sea.

6. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Yes right, but the ferry services only ask for the gov forms, they are not refusing to sell anyone a ticket.

7. robs

robs should know how this works by no

8. Bob McC

Brittany ferries won’t sell me tickets for passenger services before the 17th.

9. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

I've used eurotunnel, dover calais with p&o and with dfds. also p&o hull rotterdam. no problems with that lot.

10. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

That’s basically saying ‘don’t come to Singapore’. It’s like the builder who quotes £10k for a £2k job. He doesn’t want it, but won’t say so outright.

richardg likes this.
  12. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

To be honest even the 10 day UK quarantine with day 2&8 testing rules out all but essential trips, since most of us can't get more than 2 weeks off work, and the PCR tests add another £200 per person to the cost of the trip.
    Hopefully there will be some sort of vaccination passport scheme coming later in the summer - yes I know that vaccination is not proven to eliminate transmission, but current evidence indicates that it greatly reduces transmission. At some point governments will have to allow vaccinated people to travel more freely, or else we could have many more years of greatly depressed international travel. (Yes I know that would be good for the environment, but some of us have family abroad, some of whom are elderly).

13. Bob McC

You’ve missed out the test before going and the pre return test when the country is amber and requires day2/8 tests.

14. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I figure the day 8 test could do double duty to get me back in to the US. I'm not sure if I need a test before I leave the US - if so I can get that for another $80. So probably closer to £300 to be able to fly to the UK and not leave my mother's house for 10 days.

15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Not to mention that I could book a trip now for 3 months hence, and in the intervening period the destination goes amber, or red. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

16. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

I'm double vaccinated now. I'm taking a covid test before travelling to UK next time. But I'm not paying for the day 2 day and 8 test again. It makes no sense when you hear all the blah blah blah about how great Boris and co are doing with their vaccination program, it makes my life too difficult and is unreasonably priced.

17. Bob McC

I hope you are prosecuted.

18. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

So sorry Bob. I didn't do the tests last time, as the government-endorsed company ripped me off. I have since heard nothing from the company, police or government about me not taking the tests. It was not my fault I could not do the day 2 and day 8 test last ime, it was the company's and the government's fault. I am fairly sure my case would be thrown out.

It's interesting you have such faith in the mechanics of this day 2 8 testing when it's revelaed itself to be a scam. The people being prosecuted should be Biogroup and the Conservative Party. I'm just a dad trying to see his kids.

Chops54 likes this.
  19. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I certainly don't hope you're prosecuted, but you are opening yourself up to a very large fine. In your position I'd book again with the cheapest mail based PCR test outfit and if the tests don't show up get a refund through your credit card and not only have you saved the test cost, but you'd also be safe from government prosecution because, you DID book it.

20. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

There are about 250,000 Malaysians working in Singapore affected by this. The fee is SGD 3000