advertisement

RIP Trugoy

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
Sad to read that Trugoy from De La Soul died yesterday.

3 Feet High and Rising was one of the great debut records and, along with groups like A Tribe Called Quest, offered hip hop a different way forward from guns and misogyny.

Some great samples too.

My wife just messaged me, more awful news.
Pre ordered the reissue of 3 Feet 2LP just after Christmas, fabulous record. RIP.

I played 3 Feet High and Rising to death in my late teens. This is such sad news. Can’t believe he was only 3 years older than me either. Jeez.

5 years younger than me..... very very sad moment for me, on of the greatest bands of my most important years, working on a radio with no strict music format, we played their debut on repeat, just on and on.

Yeah, Gutted to hear this. I’m a lifelong fan.

All I’d add is that there is so much more to De La than 3FHAR. De La Soul is Dead is an amazing LP, and as @Woodface said, The Anonymous Nobody was special, and there’s some classics on The AOI LPs too, ‘All good’ is a stone cold.

And then there’s ‘Buddy’, one of the most important tracks from my teenage life. I could listen to this on repeat all day.

So that’s Ty, MF Doom, Trugoy … so many hip hop heroes dying at such a young age :(

advertisement

Back