advertisement

RIP Sir Jimmy Young

Jo Sharp

Pulls on doors marked push
The BBC Radio DJ and presenter has died at the age of 95.

One of the 'greats' of modern radio broadcasting. I remember sunbathing in the garden listening to his show instead of revising for A Levels :cool:

I couldn't work out why he wasn't mentioned in the recent Terry wogan tribute.

A part of our radio history.

The soundtrack to my childhood was my mum listening to Wogan and Jimmy Young on R2. It's bizarre what sticks in the memory, I seem to remember a regular feature on the price of fish? Or did I imagine that??

One of the first interviewers who challenged politicians. He would seem to have been a very private person which perhaps is why he didn't want to be part of the Wogan tribute. It could also be that he was very ill and nor able to take part.

Yes, sadly missed is 'Our Jim.'

I remember holidaying in the Forest of Dean and staying in Cinderford, where JY came from.
They were proud of him there.

I wouldn't miss Chris Evans.

RIP and all that but my abiding memory of him was his fawning over Thatcher..Jeez, he was entitled to his political views but he was a DJ and showed far too much bias.

RIP Jimmy. I remember my parents arrange a phone call from Jimmy on my 5th birthday, as part of his show.

Andrew

RIP and all that but my abiding memory of him was his fawning over Thatcher..Jeez, he was entitled to his political views but he was a DJ and showed far too much bias.

There seem to be opposing views on this subject, some saying that his polite friendly approach lulled her and others into a false sense of security leading them to let slip things that professional journalists failed to get and others saying that he cosied up to them as you suggest.

I can`t give an opinion since I almost never heard the programme.

I remember the cast of I'm sorry, I'll read that again doing a Jimmy Young song:

We love Jimmy Young
Six million housewives can't be wrong
Glory be to the BBC
For Jimmy Young!

It would be nice to put it up here, but alas I can't find it.

And something of a popular singer before that. His version of 'The Man From Laramie', comes to mind...unfortunately..

Quick look up reveals he had 88 weeks on the UK chart from 1953-1964 including No.1s with the above, and his version of Unchained Melody.

Good grief!!

What's the recipe today Jim ?

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=5JKqdZf7Vf4[/YOUTUBE]

..at least these old time Radio 2 DJs humour like Jim and Terry all had a certain charm.

...today when I accidentally tune into Chris Evans I cringe (Ken Bruce is OK though).

[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKqdZf7Vf4[/YOUTUBE]

..at least these old time Radio 2 DJs humour like Jim and Terry all had a certain charm.

...today when I accidentally tune into Chris Evans I cringe (Ken Bruce is OK though).

..at least these old time Radio 2 DJs like Jim and Terry humour all had a certain charm.

advertisement

Back