advertisement

RIP Meat Loaf

To a 14 year old living in fens (omg shoot me now) booh was a trip out of the mundane. Booh and yellow brick road were my first musical obsessions.
Always admired his “this is my job’ attitude. Nice guy who was honest about his life, will miss.

I don't recall any of my friends or their older siblings having the album the year it was released, but by the following year any household that had a teenager had a copy of Bat Out of Hell. I held off until 1979 before eventually buying it, mainly because I only really liked the title track.

I remember buying Bat out of Hell soon after it came out, still have the LP and it occasionally gets played. He was a unique performer and the world is a better place for him being in it for a brief time.

Hi, went to a meatloaf party last night, still there, fuukinheeeel, one ov the best doe''s ive been to, still playing took the words outa my mouth, drinking beer ,vodka and baileys , and i think i copt of with an old girlfriend , can't remember, having a great meat weekend, heaven can wait, rip xxx

Bat out of Hell was a magnificent pantomimic rock opera. Personally I think Heaven Can Wait is a bit of a masterpiece and tenderly sung. The thing was it was totally sincere and he shared in the joke. The album will live on and on.

It is I think an astonishing piece of work, not ground breaking, but Jim Steinman and he took the Alice Cooper pomp rock vibe and turned it up to eleven. I’ve just been playing along on the piano and those parts are so clever, the musicians are simply amazing. The songs are beautifully crafted. It is really almost a piece of musical theatre. The songs are beautifully crafted with darkness and light, changes of texture beautifully managed, and really cleverly pieces together. Bat out of Hell the Musical is fabulous as well. The songs stand up well in that genre. I’d love to do that. He was also a very humble man. I was part of a string sextet that sat on stage to provide target practice for the well oiled before Mr Loaf arrived to do his thing. He always said thank-you and well done as we left, I was hit by oranges, apples and beer pots containing god knows what, but he was a massively engaging performer. He could do it on stage as well as he did in the studio.

advertisement

Back