advertisement

RIP Meat Loaf

RIP

Bat Out Of Hell was one of the few albums during my school years that crossed over from rock to a much wider appeal.

If there is an afterlife, maybe he and Jim Steinman can create an even more epic album together!

I was just thinking about him the other day. I'll be honest, I thought he'd already died! I looked at him years ago and thought 'that guy isn't getting a telegram from the queen' so the other day I was thinking he must've died and I've just not heard about it.

Wasn't a fan of his music but he was a character, and music seems to be lacking in those today. RIP.

RIP Meatloaf. So many good times sound tracked by BooH, some with good friends who are also no longer with us...

Was just talking to a mate on the phone a few days ago and he said he'd finally got round to buying BooH, which surprised me as I wouldn't have thought it was his sort of thing!

Got up and switched 2nd system on (it is switched on on way to put kettle on every morning) and Meatloaf was on radio and I thought to myself "now was he one of the stars who died of covid early last year?.... Nah maybe not...I reckon he's alive alive o" then the news came on 10 mins later about his passing...:(

Remember him getting the better of Clive Anderson when Clive was taking the mick out of his name, Clive foolishly said “I mean what do you kids call you”

ML replies something along the lines of , “they call me dad”

cue much audience laughter.

edit found the iv.

sad indeed, saw a documentary on him, it was all about the music, with him, was going to see him in notts, years ago, it got cancelled because of his throat, he had to have an op, great guy, was looking forward to the meat-loaf story, but covid put that to bed,

Obviously a character. I do hope his previous comments re-COVID don't mean he was unvaccinated as an ageing asthmatic. RIP.

Ah, but did he die “of” Covid or “with” it? ;) I believe he’d had one or two health scares in recent years.

Enjoyed the Clive Anderson clip & story about the Irish gig.

I only know BOOH. It was ubiquitous in my youth. That’s more than plenty of Meat Loaf for me! To me, it’s a soundtrack to a bogan couple’s nighttime drive in their 70s V8 Holden, during which they pull over for a root in the back seat when “Dashboard Light” comes on.

Fabulous larger than life megastar. Bat out of Hell had huge songs, Meat and Rundgren and was on my turntable in the 70's often.

My first listen of him was Paradise By The Dashboard Light played late evening on Radio Forth when I was at school.

Learned to play 2 Out of 3 Ain't Bad on guitar and performed with a friend. What a guy! RIP

Discogs prices for the Meat discs in my collection went up overnight. Unless I'm mistaken, these are based on actual sales processed through the site.

12" single of BooH in Blood Red vinyl was at £15.00 max price yesterday, someone has apparently paid £24.11 for it overnight.

Smaller rises, but rises nonetheless, on the original BooH UK LP pressing, and SACD release.

So a good career move then?

If you say so. It's the first time I've made note of such a thing, only started cataloguing the collection this year.

I'm sure someone, somewhere, on some other forum, has noted a similar effect in the past, when other musicians have passed.

I have many great memories of the man. Bat Out of Hell was the soundtrack of my student days.

I recall the time when I was in halls of residence at Newcastle Poly, and get fed up of the guy in the room next door playing Thriller all the time, very loud. One day, having got fed up with it, I put Bat on, turned my JVC ghetto blaster to the wall, cranked it up to 11, and went to the bar with a mate.

While up north, there was a tour, and the most convenient date was Edinburgh Playhouse. I went up there on the train with my then girlfriend, who was also a big fan. We had loads of time before the gig, so being students, went to the pub. Anticipating 'the bell' at 2:30, I got another round in. By 3, no bell??! Ah, this is Scotland, the pubs don't shut in the afternoon (remember those days?). We eventually got out around 6, well bladded. After the gig, it was a race back to the station, as it was touch and go to get the last train back. It was a brilliant gig.

I still play Bat on a regular basis. Overblown? Yes. Pompous? Yes. But still one of the greatest albums ever produced, and always in my top 3, depending what day it is.

It is the only LP I ever wore out and had to replace (although that may have been more to do with the cheap Garrard autochanger and ceramic cartridge).

RIP Meat (and Jim).

will be playing some meat later tonight, i have about 4ish cd's of him, some great songs, and sang with such passion,
bat out of hell
bat out of hell 3
welcome to the neighborhood
hang cool teddy bear
i think that's all ,

Rip, my social standing went up at school when I duetted 2 out of 3 with one of the cool girls in the common room.

Mustn’t forget he played Eddie in the Rocky Horror too which was always happy memories going to the live shows and reruns at the cinema.

a giant, never forget the influence he had on rock, truly a , as gene Simmonds said, a bigger than life , singer , what a voice , nobody could have sang it better , xx
playing hang cool teddy, can'ty find bat out of hell , may have to get another copy, carn;t have to much meat ,

advertisement

Back