advertisement

RIP Hilary Mantel

mjw

pfm Member
I was late to the party but read the full Wolf Hall trilogy during lockdown - very rewarding.

Oh damn, that really is sad. We've lost a genius, much too soon.RIP Hilary.

Yes she is a sad loss and 70 is not old these days. I've still got "The Mirror and the Light" to read. Will be a bit sad reading it thinking there will be no more like it.

They way she weaved the history into the books with her characterisation of the players was remarkable. She truly put a different spin on the historical novel.

Cannot believe this. Her writing in the Wolf Hall series is some of the best I've ever read. RIP.

Very sad - so young. One day I'll read the Wolf Hall books - I really enjoyed the TV adaptation.

That’s sad news. Weirdly, I just had The Mirror And The Light in my hand, and was considering re-reading it. .

I understand that she suffered from poor health for most of her life: she used to say that not being able to do a more strenuous job is part of the reason she began writing.

If you like the Wolf Hall trilogy...try A Place of Greater Safety too - set around 3 of the leading characters of the early phase of the French Revolution, its just as brilliant.

A very sad loss, I doubt that I will see such a talent again. My condolences to her family and friends.

My wife is the novel reader in this partnership but she had never read any of her stuff. She doesn’t like reading ‘historical’ stuff. I just don’t get this. Whatever the period/current fads/morality the essential nature of humans is the same. If it’s generally regarded as good writing….?
‘ suddenly and peacefully surrounded by her family’ That’s a perfect end if true.

She doesn’t like reading ‘historical’ stuff. I just don’t get this. Whatever the period/current fads/morality the essential nature of humans is the same.

The books are wonderfully written and Mantel researched the history thoroughly. She simply invented an narrative to link up the bits of known history. She put believable words in the mouths of the characters.

Dismissing her work as simply historical fiction doesn't do her work justice.

I will read anything good enough to hold my attention and interest. My late wife had a talent for buying me the most wonderful range books. She often managed to send me into new areas of interest. I still have a few of her choices to read yet and am looking forward to reading them.

The first two Wolf Hall books are great reads and look forward to reading the third one shortly. Heather bought the first one for me.

She only made one mistake, she bought a Frankie Boyle for me, unfortunately I found his style of humour made me uncomfortable and very unfunny and gave up after 60 pages.

Sad news. Loved her work and always found her interesting when interviewed at length. RIP.

Quite simply one of the greats, if not the greatest.
An impressive intellect when interviewed - always a simulating and thought provoking listen - and 70 is far too young to be taken and for us to loose her and her talent. RIP.

Hilary Mantel: "We see the ugly face of contemporary Britain in the people on the beaches abusing exhausted refugees even as they scramble to the shore. It makes one ashamed. And ashamed, of course to be living in the nation that elected this government..."

advertisement

Back