advertisement

RIP Glenn Croft

Very sad news. I enjoyed using Glenn's pre (Super Micro, Super Micro A v3 and Super Micro A v4 p-p) and power amps (a pair of Series 5) for several years, only changing course to embark on the DIY route. I very much appreciated the way he offered sound design at real-world prices, and also that he supported each and every product he sold. He was a special one-off and will be missed.

Last edited:
Fantastic kit and such a pleasure to deal with. I hope Glenn’s loved ones get to see all this respect and admiration for Glenn and his work. RIP.

I'll second that, I think it would mean a lot to know how much he was respected.

I met Glenn in the late 1970s at Tom Fletcher home near Nots for the first time we met many times after that, his pre-amps were truly superb , but my power amps then were only 1KWRMS driving Tannoy Westminster blew away his lovely SECA Tube design. magic man and so kind a friendly, he will be missed, I have this year lost a few Hi-fi colleagues that will never be replaced.
Last week my mum died at 86 so this sad post makes me think of his family and the sadness they are feeling .

R.I.P. dear old pale, my thought go to his family and loved ones. See you soon.

I was at the time making power amps under the name of M.I.H. before Magnum or Inca Tech etc

Oh nearly forgot I loved his OTL Power Amps amazing kit, RIP old friend.

icon1.png

Regarding Croft Acoustics

It was Glenn's express wish that when he was gone also his amplifiers (his legacy) go with him.

With that intention in mind I have this afternoon instructed that servers at croftacoustics.co.uk be deleted. This will most likely be in effect by tomorrow evening.

Anyone who wishes to archive reviews or pictures or anything from the site should do so as a matter of urgency.

I own the copyright for many of the pictures on the site, I am happy for anyone to use pictures for their own non commercial use with Glenn's final wishes in mind.

Of course the many loyal dealers who still own stock are free to do as they wish with those stocks. Anything on the bench not currently completed will remain as is.

As sad as this is to many that is what Glenn wanted and he will always be the boss.

Thank you,

Matt O'Donoghue.

I don't think there was ever a chance that Croft Acoustics would continue without Glenn, how could it? However I am glad that his name, reputation and legacy will be untarnished. Such a huge loss. But a fantastic legacy and I am sure there are many fine people out there who can service all his amps and keep them going.
End of an era.

Page already down it appears, shame as I would have liked a final trawl through the pages for old times sake. Happy to still have a pair of mono otls into Posselts, first heard that combo at NA when I upgraded to a hyperspace in late 90s (maybe), happy times back then…

Very sad news. A small anecdote, which says something about the man - I bought a Vitale preamp from Stoneaudio circa 2003, and one day a few weeks after its arrival there was a funny smell. On investigation, I found that one of the small transformers inside the Vitale looked burnt. I contacted Stoneaudio, who arranged for the amp to be collected - leave it with us and we'll get it sorted, that kind of thing. (I might mis-remember the exact pattern of events, but I think it was something like that.) Anyway, I was somewhat surprised when within a few days the phone rang. "Glenn Croft here. Sorry about all this, the transformer must have been faulty, I'll pop a new one in", or words to that effect. A few days later the amp duly returned, with a rather snazzy-looking small toroidal transformer in place of the rather ordinary non-toroidal one that had started to go up in smoke. Thank you Glenn, for the great designs and for the personal touch. You held yourself to high standards, and we were the lucky beneficiaries. RIP.

I don't think there was ever a chance that Croft Acoustics would continue without Glenn, how could it? However I am glad that his name, reputation and legacy will be untarnished. Such a huge loss. But a fantastic legacy and I am sure there are many fine people out there who can service all his amps and keep them going.
End of an era.

A fine tribute thank you.

Still hoping to try Glenn's basic integrated amp someday.

Will the modern Croft products still be easily repairable/serviceable for the future?

S.

advertisement

Back