advertisement

RIP Dr John

Just found out. I’m a really big fan of Gris Gris especially, which I got to know after hearing Paul Weller’s cover of I Walk On Gilded Splinters on Stanley Road. I guess I’ll be having a long listening session tomorrow. I must say that knowing the kind of life he led I’m surprised he lasted this long. One of a kind. Rest in peace.

Saw him a a number of times live, the first occasion being at the Bickershaw Festival near Wigan in 1972.

Dr John the Night Tripper came on last on Friday. It had been raining a lot and the site had turned into a quagmire. Seem to recall the band and Dr John were in costume, and glitter was thrown, as they did I Walk On Guilded Splinters, although this could have been my state of mind.

Either way Dr John was a remarkable and influential musician. RIP Mac Rebennack.

Jack

Last edited:
Blow wind blow
All my troubles away
Blow wind Blow
Until Judgement Day...

I'm gutted, but am grateful for your unique musical journey, Mac Rebennack. RIP

Playing the first three tracks from 'New Orlinz, Dis Dat or D'udda', as they are in the sequence of a New Orleans funeral March. Feels appropriate.

This is a fitting thread to bring to the notice of the uninitiated his solo piano albums: Brightest Smile and Plays, both excellent IMO.

Just found out. I’m a really big fan of Gris Gris especially, which I got to know after hearing Paul Weller’s cover of I Walk On Gilded Splinters on Stanley Road. I guess I’ll be having a long listening session tomorrow. I must say that knowing the kind of life he led I’m surprised he lasted this long. One of a kind. Rest in peace.

Richard Williams hosted The Old Grey Whistle Test, which Dr John appeared on in 1972. He also interviewed him for Melody Maker. What he has to say about the Dr's heroin problem, on his blog, is interesting.

"The interview was memorable in another way: Mac was on the methadone programme, and he kept nodding out. He'd be in the middle of an answer, shut his eyes and stop talking. If I kept silent too, a minute or so later he'd open his eyes and resume the answer exactly where he'd left off. It was a little unnerving, but it was a sign of recovery from his addiction.

"A year earlier I'd seen him in much worse shape. I spent a night at Trident Studios in Soho, where he was recording tracks for what turned out to be The Sun, Moon and Herbs -- his fourth album as Dr John -- with a motley gang including Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Graham Bond and a few jazz musicians, including the tuba player Ray Draper, once a member of Max Roach's quintet, and the Jamaican saxophonist and flautist Ken Terroade. The vibe was pretty down and depressing as the assembled company went through endless stoned jams. It was hard to believe they'd get anything out of it.

"It was great, then, to see what became of him not just a year later but through the rest of his career, as he became an emblem of the city that had given the music its backbone."

Jack

RIP. Loads of great stuff, not least this stonking gem from when he was still plain Mac Rebennack.

Played these today. Shed a few.

Macollexshun.jpg

advertisement

Back