advertisement

RIP Barry Harris ….jazz pianist/ educator

Take5

pfm Member
Barry Harris has passed away.

originally known best as a jazz pianist, he played/ recorded with just about every big name you could think of from about the late 40s onward. Prolific.

latterly he became very well known as an educator, and many of today’s jazz stars have learned from him.

he was critical of the methods of the jazz colleges, and formulated his own ideas, which were very much respected.

he ran a weekly jazz workshop in Manhattan for any/all instruments, and it was a kind of”Mecca” for aspiring jazzers.

what a legacy he leaves.

That's very sad news. For the past few years I've made of point of going to see one of his annual run of gigs at Pizza Express Jazz where he always played in the same trio of Dave Green and Steve Brown. The repertoire didn't very too much but always an absolute joy to hear play and always so much fun.

Pretty much the last of that generation. What a loss. But as you say, what a legacy he leaves behind. A week shy of his 92nd birthday.

I have a bunch of his recordings but his Live In Rennes CD from 2010 is what reminds me most of going to see him play. I'll be giving that a spin later.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A true carrier of the be-bop torch and Bud Powell legacy. I came relatively late to Barry Harris. Luminescence on Prestige is a favourite and also his xanadu recordings. Live at Dug ( the great Tokyo jazz spot) is also great.

advertisement

Back