advertisement

RIP Avon (Paul Darrow)

Seeing him on pointless made me feel a sad respect. Such a huge talent that could have progressed so much further than Avon.
He certainly had a great life but it’s a shame it turns into a meat grinder at the end.

Ding, dong. Avon mourning. To steal a friends joke.

I loved him in Blake's 7 when I was a kid.

Ah, sad. I always thought he had potential as an actor, but he was barely visible after Blake's 7. Wonder what happened?

He must have done something, we would have been only 30-odd or 40 back then. Did he go into theatre and leave TV? It's starnge because he was a great villain in B7 and must have been very sought after for work following that.

B7 was on *everyone's* TV, in the days before video, satellite and Netflix and it was compulsory viewing for me, prior to extensive post-match analysis at school the next day.

Apart from anything else he was the voice of JackFM.

"We play the music we like"
I didn't know that. Tell you what though, if that pays better than dragging your arse around a thousand provincial theatres to do Puss In F***ing Boots again before going back to a crappy hotel or spending 2 hours driving home, I'd pitch up at a recording studio every day.

My Dad nearly picked up some voice work, can you believe in Italian. They were on holiday and got diverted to another airport, while there they shared a taxi/minibus ride with an Italian chap who was in advertising and needed a voiceover for an ad. He reckoned my Dad speaking Italian (he's pretty good) was exactly the ticket. Sadly that one didn't work out, it could ahve been a very interesting interlude and addition to retirement income.

Well Servalan dies last year, so hopefully Avon and Servalan can continue their sexual tension in another plane of existence.

There was a rumour a few years back that Blakes 7 would have a remake. Never happened unfortunately.

Even as a 9 year old I could tell Blake's 7 was naff and felt sorry for the actors involved. They spent every episode running around old chemical factories or disused quarries. And that plastic box with flashing lights - ORAC was it? No wonder we all thought Star Wars was great!

Avon & Servelan were probably best things about it. RIP.

advertisement

Back