advertisement

Richard Allan Class A (Sugden A21) rebuild

Cool, another forum member? This one is ticking along nicely!

He saw the last rebuild on here and got in touch but AFAIK he isn't a fishy... 3 days 24/7 warming my gaff and no issues so ready to go back to it's owner... and sounds lovely!
It's hard to part with some jobs when you've put so much effort into 'em:)
A Radford STA25 I completely "blueprinted" in the same way as has been applied to this job was probably the hardest to let go... Se la vie:rolleyes:

He saw the last rebuild on here and got in touch but AFAIK he isn't a fishy... 3 days 24/7 warming my gaff and no issues so ready to go back to it's owner... and sounds lovely!
It's hard to part with some jobs when you've put so much effort into 'em:)
A Radford STA25 I completely "blueprinted" in the same way as has been applied to this job was probably the hardest to let go... Se la vie:rolleyes:

I am the owner of the Richard Allan amp that Jez refurbished/rebuilt. It is like a new amp and still kicking in. It carries a very Sugden indefinable sound and is powering some Klipsch speakers very very efficiently. I am really pleased with the work Jez has done - so much so I am having a similar rebuild to another amp. Jez is a careful worker and real patience is a necessary quality in waiting for the anticipated return of your amp - it is well worth the wait. And I am not known to Jez or sponsored in any way by him. I have been reading some of the previous [at times aggressive, to put it mildly] material about him and would just like to say that in my opinion he does an excellent job if you are willing to be patient.

I am the owner of the Richard Allan amp that Jez refurbished/rebuilt. It is like a new amp and still kicking in. It carries a very Sugden indefinable sound and is powering some Klipsch speakers very very efficiently. I am really pleased with the work Jez has done - so much so I am having a similar rebuild to another amp. Jez is a careful worker and real patience is a necessary quality in waiting for the anticipated return of your amp - it is well worth the wait. And I am not known to Jez or sponsored in any way by him. I have been reading some of the previous [at times aggressive, to put it mildly] material about him and would just like to say that in my opinion he does an excellent job if you are willing to be patient.

Actually this one is not your RA A21 Steve but belongs to MattJ of this parish... Yours was much more extensively rebuilt than this one with all the resistors and transistors replaced on top of all the work carried out on this one:)

I take it you've seen the thread on your latest one? https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/sugden-a21-series-ii-rebuild.224295/ Collected by courier 3pm today BTW

Oh and welcome to pfm!

Actually this one is not your RA A21 Steve but belongs to MattJ of this parish... Yours was much more extensively rebuilt than this one with all the resistors and transistors replaced on top of all the work carried out on this one:)

I take it you've seen the thread on your latest one? https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/sugden-a21-series-ii-rebuild.224295/ Collected by courier 3pm today BTW

Oh and welcome to pfm!
Apologies - but the main drift of my comments still stand!

Another new signup here although long time lurker. Enjoyed reading much stuff, but this one engaged me in particular, currently owning a Sugden A48II, T48 tuner, 33/303, a couple of TL12+, umpteen turntables and whatever.

Hi,
I have an A48II too. Would there be anything to be gained , sonically, if I fitted RCA input sockets instead of the Din ones. I only ever use 1 input from my external phono stage anyway so I could relieve the preamp part of a fair few wires and bits, not to mention all the filters, slope etc. that I will never use.I live abroad so I am not worried about spoiling it for anyone in the future~ it’ll end up on the tip when I go.

Hi,
I have an A48II too. Would there be anything to be gained , sonically, if I fitted RCA input sockets instead of the Din ones. I only ever use 1 input from my external phono stage anyway so I could relieve the preamp part of a fair few wires and bits, not to mention all the filters, slope etc. that I will never use.I live abroad so I am not worried about spoiling it for anyone in the future~ it’ll end up on the tip when I go.

Sockets etc have no effect on sound. If you open it up there is a pre out/power in plug and socket on the side of the pre amp. On the A21 this is a paxolin thing but IIRC it's a DIN plug and socket on the later A48's. This means you can use the power amp in it on it's own if you want. I did this with an A48 I had when I was about 18. It would be interesting to try this with an A21 actually!

That’s an idea. Thanks Jez. My main amp is an A21SE which has a pre-out so does this mean an umbilical with 2 RCA’s and a din on the other end and I’d have a mini anv-50 ? I wonder about sensitivity.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back