advertisement

rice

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Supermarket easy cook basmati or long grain (prefer basmati these days) in a £30 rice cooker. 2 cups of rice, pour some cold water into the cooker with the rice and swirl it around and drain it a few times until your left with fairly clear water. Add 3.5 cups of water, salt & pepper to taste and switch on the rice cooker. Stir it when the water has reduced to stop it catching at the bottom. You’re done!

I've frequently wondered how I got along without a rice cooker. Bought one on amazon. Its so damn easy and so very consistent. No water left at the end (but not dry) and seconds to clean.
Dont waste your money on a fancy model with various settings - you wont use them.

I own two of these. Cheap and excellent.

No doubt it works well. The one we use has a timer which we often use so my Wife wakes up and the rice is cooked. I believe we have had the cooker for 5 years no issues and it will steam vegies etc as most will do. Given the price and longevity its been a great purchase.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I con only image that would be like eating outmeal at the end, yuck.

Your spelling is almost as bad as mine. I soak for several days, not boil for several days. I find the soaking reduces the cooking time as well as thoroughly removing the starch. Far from oatmeal yuckiness, what transpires are long, luxuriant and unsticky grains. Don't rely on your imagination, why not give it a try?

I have no need to do that my outcome is the same without the soaking. I use a really nice rice when cheating its a basmati style, I'll try and find the name, I have only found it in a Caribbean whole sale near me but its awesome. 1 cup rice 1 cup water bring to boil lid on turn down heat cook for around ten then turn off heat and let it soak up rest of water and done.

I suppose it depends which rice you are using. I don't like the idea of rice in water for days on end, I guess it was the scare stories fed to us when in chef college!

Probably not a good idea but i've also always frozen leftovers for a quick standby when in a hurry.

Really handy to have a bag of cooked flowable rice in the freezer.

Oof I always find defrosted rice really gritty and actually hard to swallow. I need to stop being so fussy I think lol.

Probably not a good idea but i've also always frozen leftovers for a quick standby when in a hurry.

Really handy to have a bag of cooked flowable rice in the freezer.

Absolutely, I do the same, fed a family of 5 for 30 years and haven't lost one yet. Whilst acknowledging the food hygiene expertise here and the possibility of contamination I am inclined to think that the risks are overblown for a domestic situation. I wonder if the guidance isn't dominated by considerations of public liability issues in the catering sector. The frozen rice, once thawed, is perfect for egg fried rice type dishes.

Absolutely, I do the same, fed a family of 5 for 30 years and haven't lost one yet. Whilst acknowledging the food hygiene expertise here and the possibility of contamination I am inclined to think that the risks are overblown for a domestic situation. I wonder if the guidance isn't dominated by considerations of public liability issues in the catering sector. The frozen rice, once thawed, is perfect for egg fried rice type dishes.
Its ok if you cool it down as quickly as possible once it’s cooked. Laid flat on a baking tray in an iced water bain-marie will work. Just don’t let it hang around warm

Its ok if you cool it down as quickly as possible once it’s cooked. Laid flat on a baking tray in an iced water bain-marie will work. Just don’t let it hang around warm

And yet here I am, in rude (insolent indeed) health. For the record, I grow cabbage to make sauerkraut and store it in kilner jars under the stairs. Website says a few weeks yet I am eating stuff a few years old. I preserve zucchini in oil, website says store in fridge for up to a month but still good after a year or two. Same with some other foodstuffs. If you are of a fragile constitution then maybe best not to follow my lead. Better to wonder why you have such a constitution in the first place.

If I'm making for two people:
  • 500ml of boiling water
  • 1 mug of rice
  • Combine in a large pyrex dish with a lid
  • Microwave for 11 minutes on full power
Comes our perfect.

Basmati, always.
Loads of salted water. Rinse the rice thoroughly: that’s very important!
From 10 minutes on, I check tenderness and I stop at the right moment. There’s a very short time gap between undercooked and perfect.
After 11 minutes the rice goes to the kitchen bin. Or continue and use as wallpaper glue.

This is why rice cookers are the obvious answer. Four pages and about 50 different ways of cooking rice "simply" - ranging from boil it for 10 minutes to soak it for 5 days in water first.

Sod all this faff and just buy one!

This is why rice cookers are the obvious answer. Four pages and about 50 different ways of cooking rice "simply" - ranging from boil it for 10 minutes to soak it for 5 days in water first.

Sod all this faff and just buy one!
No. :D

advertisement

Back