advertisement

Rice and Mice

I believe they sort of blast cook the bags of rice after sealing much like canned goods, Steve will know more.

Still, a little bit of me can't help but wonder why you would buy food from a plastic tat store?

I believe they sort of blast cook the bags of rice after sealing much like canned goods, Steve will know more.
I think the rice is pressure cooked in the sealed bag, like a tinned product. That's what makes it keep. That's why I'm mystified as to what's gone on. I must confess I'm not familiar with pouch rice manufacture, it's going to be more complex than you imagine for a number of reasons, notably a bacterium called Bacillus cereus which produces heat resistant spores that will survive most cooking this side of a pressure cooking and make you very sick indeed for 24 hours.

I’m probably not the best person to offer an opinion as someone told me off on another thread for merely rinsing crawling creepy-crawlies out of my rice before bunging it in the pan rather than binning it, but I think I would draw the line at something as far up the food chain as a mouse. Even a dead one. If it was mouldy.

advertisement

Back