advertisement

Ribbon connector help, please.

earlofsodbury

Wastrel.
Can I ask for some input from the more experienced among you: I'm trying to dismantle a Pro-ject CDT that features several of the ribbon cable connectors as pictured below.

Are this type a simple push fit? Or is there some unlocking mechanism to release the cable? They have a more-than-usually firm connection, and yet are too fragile for me to risk trying too hard - if I damage a connection here, it's beyond me to repair it...

y4myMEXeHl9wZX66d1kbNNjM2k3kKoLxsoBZgngpgsU_X35qSrIwItLWN9V7Q_huNIMGF-RuE8ZnkmOCZCX7Pr3RrYl9IYVgnqVb-HU9thETXdQ8weWc4vy6IvWOFO_Tg3i_VmTBHirr05YLKYQKhVcmI1r3h-04sGf7dl1qgqCIK5sr_tFspPBVOzZDhS9lFFD

Thanks.

Sodders, The block is fixed to the pcb, the bare cable just pulls out, same as in the mdac. In the first pic the cable looks half out already, potentially misaligned.

Just pinch the ribbon with finger and thumb while pressing down on the front of the block, the two cut outs give the top the ability to flex and then pull the ribbon. They're moderately firm, quite high stiction at first but them come out easily.

In the mdac they run power and signal on adjacent pin so misalignment can be game over, ask me how I know...

Lovely job - thank-you. Having managed to rip a stupid little faston clean out of the display PCB, a quick and simple change of LED from searingly-bright blue to barely-there green has got annoyingly more complicated... It's been that kind of day. Cheers!

Well, turns out everyone's right - the PCB connectors are a ZIF type (difference-of-opinion = I had more homework to do) - the little black bar does pull out, making releasing the ribbon easy, which was welcome. The cable in sharp focus is a simple FFC, but the one linking the display screen to the display PCB is an FPC...

I've repaired the graunched connection - had to scrape a hair-fine PCB track back to copper and solder on some whisker-fine silver wire, but have yet to re-assemble the whole thing. Reckon it's going to be 50/50 whether it works again - what's the betting all this heat and cack-handed faff has made some sand-grain sized component sh*t its bed...?

Gahd, I hate SMT...

I use a blunt 3mm tip on a 40 watt iron, I can manage 0805 cleanly, anything smaller needs extra light and magnification. The tweezers are just to hold them to the first pad.

Forgot to mention that it now works, and so great is my faith in my own repair skills that's I've purchased a spare CD-P to act as backup transport...

Happy daze...

advertisement

Back