advertisement

Revox three head cassette deck

Very tempted by those. Any idea what wood finish they are?? - I will ask.

If original Lockwoods they will be formica, not wood. It seems to be an advantage, Lockwood cabs are very inert for a fairly thin-wall design. They apparently sound worse if the formica is removed and replaced with a nicer looking veneer.

I suspect these have been stripped and re-veneered, but they are very cheap for Lockwoods with Golds fitted. If buying I’d definitely buy the original crossovers too (listed in a different lot), I’ve heard a lot of third-party ones and none I prefer to the stock ones. Probably a good deal if you get everything assuming the drivers are in good order.

Cool, good to know Formica still exists. Ideally I’d like to redo the bottom panels of mine as they are pretty smashed up. I wonder if one can buy accurately cut pieces? I doubt I’ll ever get round to it, but good to know it is theoretically possible.

The new Formica is only 0.7mm thick. From memory the original stuff is about twice that. Those cabs look to have had the Formica removed although quite hard to tell, might just be painted over. Backs definitely look like bare wood.

The backs of mine are bare wood and I’m sure that is how they left the factory. I think the sides and front of this pair have beed stripped though. The original Formica is about 1.5mm thick.

advertisement

Back