advertisement

Revisiting the Ryan Sound Lab ‘MusicPower’ Plug-Ins....

Tonyx - not sure about the feedback but just checked the dimensions of the boards and I can see why it's really tight. The RSL Z150 MC boards are many millimeters longer than the original Naim boards from the front pin toward the front of the cabinet. Even though the Z301 are the same length from their rear pins to the back edge of the board as the Naim buffers, there is still a loss that squeezes you. I can send over a longer ribbon cable that would wind around the front of the smaller jumper board instead of the back which would eliminate the thickness of the cable, at least. Would that be enough?

Hi Kit. Already own your amp boards for 32.5. How do i go about being added to the list for the current loaner set doing the rounds, mainly interested in the MC boards.
Thanks. Lew

baitrunner and anyone else who's interested. To get on the RSL loaner list, please send me your full name and address to: [email protected]. There are currently two people on the list and one auditioning. I usually allow 2 weeks for the listening so the next person on the list will get the package in about 6 weeks.

Full marks for actually listening and then choosing to move from discretes to opamps!

After all, single ended class A discrete circuits 'must' be better than a nasty little chip with zillions of tiny transistors all suffering from "memory effect" and with a horrible class A/B output stage, that needs infinite feedback to make it perform :D

I spent ages trying to get a time-aligned filter clone and a discrete zero feedback distortion cancelling line stage to sound as good as a well sorted op-amp.
Come to think of it, I had the same experience with valves. Good as they can be, op-amps can be better.

S-Man, you have my sympathy and respect. Us analog blokes have been hearing about the glories of single-ended this and that, discrete this and that, hand-selected capacitors that cost a fortune, zero feedback, etc etc for decades. Turns out they are pretty much "old wives tales", passed on from one generation to the next. Yes, the original 741 and TL074 op amps were junk for audio, but once some smart guys at Burr-Brown started working on the problem, things got a whole lot better, even though the rhetoric didn't. People who have heard an OPA627 know what I'm talking about. But the newer opamps are even better.

However, all new op amps are not equal. I listened to at least 3 or 4 different pairs before deciding on the TI1611 and TI1641 (bipolar input and FET input, respectively), also designed by the Burr-Brown guys - now working for TI. If you listen with your ears rather than your pre-determined opinion, you can make some real progress in SQ. From my experience, the amount of "control" you have over the signal makes the difference, and feedback circuits using op amps fill that bill.

I also design guitar amps with single-ended tubes (valves) and distortion that measure up to double digits, so I know what that sounds like. There's nothing like it for generating that spine-tingling lead guitar riff. But when you want to reproduce that from a recording in your living room, it takes a different kind of system to do that faithfully and with stage-level dynamics. As I replace the discretes in my earlier circuits with op amps, it just sounds better and better to me.

I must look into the opamps you suggest. Seems like they are not available in DIL though.
I no longer use a preamp, my application is an active crossover. My preferred device is OP275.

I found that correct decoupling is important to get good sound - nothing clever, just follow the apps notes. Regulators are also important, but once again, nothing too clever.

Appreciate your open minded approach!
Anyway, great looking product and I wish you lots of success!

Tonyx - not sure about the feedback but just checked the dimensions of the boards and I can see why it's really tight. The RSL Z150 MC boards are many millimeters longer than the original Naim boards from the front pin toward the front of the cabinet. Even though the Z301 are the same length from their rear pins to the back edge of the board as the Naim buffers, there is still a loss that squeezes you. I can send over a longer ribbon cable that would wind around the front of the smaller jumper board instead of the back which would eliminate the thickness of the cable, at least. Would that be enough?
Yes, I think it would. Without the cable i guess the pressure would have gone and it would just about fit , close but without a worry. Would it be possible to try the longer cable?

The loaner set I was loaned (now sent in to the next person) also included the most recent Moving Coil boards and I have also had a chance to listen to them and also compare them to some Naim 323/5 K cards.

Now those I like! But I would need them in 523 form :(

toyx - will send a longer cable in the next couple of days. Hope that solves your problem. Please send me your name and address to: [email protected] (believe it or not, I can't keep track of PFM "handles")

wd40: the problem with the 52x series of phono boards is the connectors. I did make 52x MM boards a few years ago but then ran out of connectors. They simply don't exist anymore that I can find, and haven't for at least 3-4 years. They are listed as "obsolete" and I haven't found a supply of them anywhere in the world. It may be possible to get some if I order at least 1,000 of them but they cost almost $1 each and I can't justify having that much inventory for a few boards. If anyone can find some of them, please let me know. I could use 100 but not 1,000. The part number is: 87105-1 from TE Connectivity.

Thanks, better yet, I realised I could test the fit just by putting the front board in with the cable coming forward, and yes, the longer cable would do the trick as far as the fit is concerned. I don't know why I didn't think the check that before- I don't need a cable just for the test. I will email you as I think another set of Z301s with a longer cable would be a very good idea.

Tony

Funny you should send me this link because I emailed them just a few days ago about these. No reply. This is typical of some far east outfits. I was hit by fraud twice last year buying parts on sites that looked completely authentic and answered my emails - until I sent them the money, then never heard from them again. Not sure about this one but their lack of response is not encouraging. If I hear from them, I'll post it here!

From photos it looks the same as the NA32x types, but vertical mounting instead of horizontal. Would it be possible to use the horizontal part soldered to a pin next to it?

hello, just finished with kits latest loaner set, only tested the mc boards as I've got a 62 and a goldring troika with 30 hours on it.
put them in and without warm up 3 hours on saturday gave a great initial sound, highs sweeter, voices smoother, bass was hugely faster and punchier, decided to buy them after half an hour!
monday evening for 4 hours, this revealed abilities in instrument location and depth I’ve never experienced before,memorable listening session that.
today 6 hrs straight no fatigue, becoming accustomed to the changes and was able to listen to the music rather than the sounds, wonderful
theres something about these boards that let you focus your hearing in layers behind the main sounds
was able to drop down the jumper to 1nf without any rf issues.
listening to,
sylvan esso-frequency =made me feel young
big thief-mary =made me remember
aldous harding-imagining my man =made me cry
james brown-there was a time =made me dance
meril wubslin-la autour =put me somewhere else
penguin cafe orch.-numbers 1 to 4 =made me concentrate
fela kuti-expensive shit =made me laugh
dead can dance-the writing on my fathers hand =gave me the heebeyjeebeys
posting them on today
give this man some of your money,hes got some of mine, paul

Got an answer about the 522 connectors - says they are out of production and he has no extras. Looks pretty hopeless at this point.

advertisement

Back