advertisement

Review of new Harbeth 30.2

I've briefly listened to the M30.2 Anniversary at the dealers yesterday when I went there to collect something. It's not that I'm interested to listen to any of the Harbeth models as I've previously experienced all other Harbeth models (except the Super HL5 Plus Anniversary). The finish looks very nice indeed. Very classy and elegant, but that's where it ends. IT's the sound quality that counts and regrettably just like the M30 and 30.1 that failed to impress everytime I tried, the 30.2 also falls into that category. In a very live room which is certainly useful (diffusion panels at the ceiling covering an area of approximately 3m x 4m) played several tracks and the vocals on some recording are very nice. Few more recordings the same dullness with the Monitor series was experienced. It doesn't have the spacious and live sound of the Super HL5 Plus (and Compact 7ES3). The sound is too clean and shut-in which isn't to my taste.

I have a pair of 30.1s (currently in storage as are all my speakers at the moment). I found them to be inconsistent. They were superb with organ, strings and voices, but piano was not at all convincing (there was a distinct colouration in the upper bass that stood out like a sore thumb on piano, and room size/placement wasn't an issue). As most of the reviews commented they do not excel with large scale music, but then standmounts of this size never will

I've just bought a pair of the 30.2s. I recently - and foolishly - sold a pair of 30.1s that I had happily owned for a few years to try something different. And after trying a couple of different speakers, I realised I was missing what the Harbeths did.

The 30.2s are a noticeable improvement on the 30.1 - more dynamic, more transparent, more three dimensional. They sound less boxy and a bit less warm. The only downside is that I don't care for the silver eucalyptus finish, which is the only one offered. I am using them with the grilles on for that reason,which I never did with the 30.1s.

If they are selling then by definition they are not over-priced. Over-priced compared to what ?
To be fair they are becoming overpriced recently. I bought M30.1 in March 2016 at around £2100 from memory although now upgraded these are now in 30.2 format £4200. I changed to SHLR 5 Anniversary in October 2018 cost £4000 which are now £5000 and I have seen £5400. They sell though and are fabulous speakers IMO The Anniversaries and the HD seem to be the same from my investigations . BMW are know to put the prices of their cars up because they can due to demand, this may be the same, people who want them will pay ....its the old supply and demand. In a way I wish I had kept my M30.1 there is something about those that I miss.
Regards to compared to what? I think most people would say their income as wages don't rise anything like this and eventually many will say..."not paying it".

Nothing to do with wages really

AS cleverly increased the profit and brand
For buying public in many cases it is if they don't have the disposable income. A.S. is a good businessman and and designs and builds fine speakers but not everyone will afford them.

advertisement

Back