advertisement

Review ATVM95EN

Del monaco

Del Monaco
I recently purchased a Cambridge Audio Alva ST at a great price. Very pleased with it. Though I liked its original cartridge(ATVM95e), I always intended to bump up the quality of the stylus. I was going to go with the ML variant but was hesitant as I was concerned that it may be ‘too detailed’ and perhaps overly bright. I have never really liked overly detailed carts. I therefore decided to go for the EN variant after reading ordinary listener reviews over the past couple of weeks. It had been described as the ‘sweet spot’ of the range.
The new cart has arrived and I have swapped the original out. I’m surprised at the difference. A much more ‘refined’ and grown up sound. Instruments and voices are more obviously separated from the mix. The detail is enough without disrupting the flow of the music. The cart has a lovely tone and really suits the burnished 70s recording of Cleo Laine and John Williams. This was a favourite recording of my Dads and I’ve carried it along in my collection for a long time. There’s a real smoothness and fluidity to the recording. Highs are less distorted, bass is articulate and the mids detail is very good without being distracting.I’m really impressed with this range and at the price they are invaluable for listeners with limited funds. The ATVM95e is a lovely starter cartridge but the EN cartridge is at a different level. I don’t know how they do it for the money. It’s also made me love Dad’s favourite that little bit more.
I’m expecting an Ifi Zen Phono to arrive this week and looking forward to what this unassuming device brings to the party.

I was tempted but reviews seemed more polarised. And too detailed is not what I really want.This cart reminds me of the Goldring I used to run with my Rega, which is a very good thing.

I was tempted but reviews seemed more polarised. And too detailed is not what I really want.

Yes, it's always a balancing act. I'm still using an Exact when I have an OC9 XSL sitting here. The XSL is better in every hi-fi aspect you can think of; more open, detailed, cleaner you name it but the Exact has a full bodied tuneful sound I love. Especially in the midrange.

Yes, it's always a balancing act. I'm still using an Exact when I have an OC9 XSL sitting here. The XSL is better in every hi-fi aspect you can think of; more open, detailed, cleaner you name it but the Exact has a full bodied tuneful sound I love. Especially in the midrange.
It is. I’m just listening to an early recording of the Mozart Oboe Quartet with Marriner and the Chilingirian Qt. A very lovely performance rendered beautifully with this new cart. The detail is there but it has a lovely flow that is very engaging. It’s the best sound I’ve had from a turntable.

I'll be interested to see how the iFi compares with the onboard phono - are you using your 803D for this setup?
I am at the moment. It’s a decent phono stage.The Alva on board phono stage is more dynamic but with greater surface noise. The Ifi is supposed to be very clean sounding with a lower noise floor. It’s now arrived I’ll put it to work later this evening.

Last edited:
I have a 540ML with the RigB metal body, it's quite something for the money. It picks up a lot of surface noise though, I may try the 95EN, though can a £100 cart really sound that good, only one way to find out. You sold me with 'the flow' comment.

I'll be interested to see how the iFi compares with the onboard phono - are you using your 803D for this setup?
Just set up the Ifi. Initial impressions are that it is very quiet. I can also pick up a little more mids detail. I’ll listen more tomorrow and give a full comparison between the Ifi and the Yammy. So far, it’s sounding promising.

I used to run an AT100e. An enjoyable cartridge, I thought I'd upgrade the stylus to the VMN30EN. But the ATVM95ML came over as better value, particularly since the stylus should last at least twice as long as an elliptical, & I bought that instead. Mounting it is a doddle although I found that setup has to be just so for a result. I like it lots. It's on a Rega 3 but it's not as thin sounding as some report. That said, the amplifier & speakers currently on the field are an A&R A60 & LS3/5as which make a warm sounding combination.

It's good to see you like the EN. I might try one on the 95 yet: it could work well with my more neutral Yamaha amplifier that's my other favourite.

advertisement

Back