advertisement

Returning my third copy of 'Black Acid Soul'

I’ve got the first ‘Kind of Blue’ issue (only item I’ve ever contributed to Discogs:))
Plays just fine
My friend has the first Smokey orange issue and he has a couple of issues on side one (I think)
All a bit hit and miss unfortunately

You would have thought that there was enough demand now to make it worthwhile opening a new pressing plant in the UK; I'm sure it would be very profitable. Obviously the new people would have to be trained up; all the more reason to do it now while there's still some old engineers around.

I suspect it is a shortage of presses. The existing ones that weren’t scrapped in the dark ages have all been snapped up by GZ, RTI etc, and no one makes new ones!

You would have thought that there was enough demand now to make it worthwhile opening a new pressing plant in the UK; I'm sure it would be very profitable. Obviously the new people would have to be trained up; all the more reason to do it now while there's still some old engineers around.

My understanding is there are other constricting factors - only one company making lacquers, no one is making cutting lathes (or parts for cutting lathes) etc.

Though saying that, these folks opened in Middlesborough at the end of last year: https://pressonvinyl.com/

I was reflecting on this today. I buy barely any new vinyl as it’s usually poor quality, expensive and mastered from digital sources, which makes it all a bit pointless.

I make a few exceptions for the likes of ReR, Oto records, some of the Neil Young archives releases and the last Feelies album, most of which are important enough to me to have the artefact. I bought Bowie’s Young Americans on 180g reissue a little while back and it sounds horrid and the Mwandishi reissues I bought were dished to hell.

I’d rather take my chances with NM early pressings on discogs and stick to digital for most new stuff.

I suspect it is a shortage of presses. The existing ones that weren’t scrapped in the dark ages have all been snapped up by GZ, RTI etc, and no one makes new ones!

9 companies make brand new record presses
Problem is skilled workforce in plating lacquers & press operation & Majors always select the lowest bidder only audiophile labels use QRP/RTI/RT/Pallas

Newbilt Machinery - Vinyl Record Production Equipment from Germany (newbilt-machinery.com)

VIRYL (viryltech.com)

Third Man Operating eight of the first newly built presses built in 35 years, plus four extruders, and four hydraulic generators — all brand new
carousel_3@2x.jpg

Just as an update, I've discovered that Foundation, who released Black Acid Soul, are very much concerned with getting a good quality pressing, and have been really frustrated with some of the pressing issues. But they have been rectified and the pressing plants in questioned have apologised, it seems. Having communicated with them, I'm convinced they're trying to do the best they can with a release they're proud of.

Why pay Top dollar for mastering by Bernie Grundman & Skimp on a low cost pressing plant
with 5 colour versions - Orange & Kind of blue Vinyl etc
Bernie cuts lacquers & RTI can plate within a few hours for best Sound quality

Just as an update, I've discovered that Foundation, who released Black Acid Soul, are very much concerned with getting a good quality pressing, and have been really frustrated with some of the pressing issues. But they have been rectified and the pressing plants in questioned have apologised, it seems. Having communicated with them, I'm convinced they're trying to do the best they can with a release they're proud of.
I've ordered a copy today, I'm mildly concerned now after reading this thread :) I've had some terrible new stuff of late. Amos Lee/Amos Lee and Muddy Waters/Folk singer were the two worst. I also just sent back Soul Station/Hank Mobley buy the one I got back in return was faultless.

Mine arrived this from Amazon morning, utter sh!t.

Only played the first 3 tracks of side 1. The first and third track were popping and clicking like mad. Ran it through the Project RCM twice, only a minor improvement.

It’s a massive ball ache sending records back and if it’s just minor I’ll swallow it but this is the worst yet.

Edit - since played side 2 and it’s worse. 3 visible marks going across the first two songs, and light scratches across the whole side. Not sure if someone has returned this before and they’ve re-sealed it and sold it again. The worst I’ve bought since getting back into vinyl.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back