advertisement

Retro TV

Woodface

pfm Member
I have recommended & discussed several old classic films in the recent past but I thought a thread on classic TV may be apt.

One relatively recent discovery for me is the currently repeated ‘Enemy at the door’, this is shown every Sunday at 9pm on Talking Pics TV. It hails from the late 70s early 80’s & I think it is an incredibly good show. I was first drawn to it as it stars Alfred Burke (I am borderline obsessed with this underrated British character actor) & it depicts the Channel Islands under Nazi occupation in the 2nd World War.

The performances are of the highest quality but seeing Simon Cadel as a Nazi pre ‘Hi de hi’ takes a bit of getting used to.

I have also started watching Upstairs Downstairs which I was too young for 1st time round; it hasn’t aged as well.

Any others you wish to share?

The 3 I most remember the rest of the family always watching in my house were Onedin Line, Upstairs Downstairs which I think of as a 70’s Downton, probably wrongly as not a fan and When the Boat Comes In, dunno if that’s on anywhere, have a feeling it was the more gritty one for the era.

The 3 I most remember the rest of the family always watching in my house were Onedin Line, Upstairs Downstairs which I think of as a 70’s Downton, probably wrongly as not a fan and When the Boat Comes In, dunno if that’s on anywhere, have a feeling it was the more gritty one for the era.
I can only remember the annoying theme tune of ‘when the boat comes in’

Ah yes, I really enjoyed watching an old episode of Grange Hill a few weeks ago. It's really gritty stuff!

Amber,

The original series is my show and if I had any say in the matter I'd use a stylized image from it as my avatar. So, yeah, original series the one to watch.

It's been a while since I watched a Next Generation episode, but a few days ago I did and was pleasantly surprised to see how well it held up. Chain of Command, Part 2.

I may watch some more over the break.

Joe

The Avengers, of course, which was repeated in rotation on one of the now defunct Freeview stations up until a few years ago. It was interesting to watch the development from Steed as tough spy (Honor Blackman era) through surreal and sometimes scary (Emma Peel, pt1), to day-glo and camp (Emma Peel, pt2). Then there was Linda Thorson - but I wouldn’t bother too much with those episodes.

And of course, every British character actor of the period... Warren Mitchell, John Laurie, Peter Bowles, Peter Wyngarde, Peter Cushing, Ronnie Barker, John Cleese...

Van der Valk, Budgie and Callan to name but three crime based ones. Essential viewing for me at the time ( late 60's to mid 70's.
Seems a long time ago now. Cause it was!

I bought the BBC videos a few years ago, of
Edge of Darkness
The Alec Guinness “tinker tailor”
Edge of Darkness is great, the scene where they sing old Willie Nelson songs from the Red Headed Stranger is a highlight (among many).

The original TV series of ‘Tinker..’ is brilliant, way better than the subsequent film.

Van der Valk, Budgie and Callan to name but three crime based ones. Essential viewing for me at the time ( late 60's to mid 70's.
Seems a long time ago now. Cause it was!
Watched all three of those recently, Budgie hasn’t aged well with a very unlikable central character. Lynne Dalby was lovely though.

Edge of Darkness is great, the scene where they sing old Willie Nelson songs from the Red Headed Stranger is a highlight (among many).

The original TV series of ‘Tinker..’ is brilliant, way better than the subsequent film.

Agree. It puts the film to shame.

I have recommended & discussed several old classic films in the recent past but I thought a thread on classic TV may be apt.

One relatively recent discovery for me is the currently repeated ‘Enemy at the door’, this is shown every Sunday at 9pm on Talking Pics TV. It hails from the late 70s early 80’s & I think it is an incredibly good show. I was first drawn to it as it stars Alfred Burke (I am borderline obsessed with this underrated British character actor) & it depicts the Channel Islands under Nazi occupation in the 2nd World War.

The performances are of the highest quality but seeing Simon Cadel as a Nazi pre ‘Hi de hi’ takes a bit of getting used to.

I have also started watching Upstairs Downstairs which I was too young for 1st time round; it hasn’t aged as well.

Any others you wish to share?

I seem to vaguely remember something similar, about the Channel Islands under Nazi occupation, from much earlier, maybe the early 'sixties. But I might be imagining things.
Does anyone remember "No Hiding Place"? When the police drove Wolseleys with a bell on top? And, of course, "The Adventures of William Tell." When I was 10 I was in love with Tell's wife.

advertisement

Back