Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Retirement Destinations?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by david ellwood, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Spanish practices?

2. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Allegedly!

3. narabdela

narabdela who?

Recently? Luckily I haven't needed them, but judging from some of the horror stories I'm hearing from friends and relatives, I sincerely hope that I can remain healthy.

4. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  5. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Every time I look at the title of the thread this sort of image comes to mind.
    [​IMG]
    I’m being overly sensitive as I retire very soon…
    [​IMG]

6. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

That’s not retirement, that’s recycling.

TheDecameron and MUTTY1 like this.
  7. narabdela

narabdela who?

Not many places, but my post wasn't a criticism of the NHS per se, I worked there for 38 years. The problem is the pressure it's operating under at the moment. Obviously things are pretty grim Post-Covid, but the lack of adequate funding, the top-heavy ratio of admin to frontline workers, and the Post-Brexit exodus of trained staff, does not bode well for the future.

manicatel and PsB like this.
  8. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard Ayup Me Duck

Lovely area, just not somewhere I would ever want to retire to, unless global warming seriously changed the weather from October to April :D

stevec67 likes this.
  9. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

Parts of the Algarve are lovely and in general a bit cheaper than the UK. A friend of my wife’s and her husband retired to the hills near Villamoura and we have dropped in a couple of times whilst on holiday. They bought a dilapidated goat herders cottage and spent the next few years doing it up. He is very clever, practical too and one of his first jobs was designing/building bullet proof cars for VIPs including the Jag which took Hatcher to offer her resignation to the Queen and the Ford Grenada she came back in after Liz had accepted.

10. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

A village like Muker, in winter, pub… sorted ;)

Gingerbeard likes this.
  11. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

I lived in Sleights just outside Whitby for the winter. After a summer in the Lake District I scuttled back south and as far south as possible and stayed here!

paulfromcamden and Gingerbeard like this.
  12. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

We've got one part of our retirement places, in the Cairngorms, with the plan being that when we sell our Edinburgh place we'll get a place in the Dordogne and split our time between the two.

13. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

14. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

sry...that just made me smile. 3 criteria apparently equal. Sun, money to spend and a good internet connection.

15. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

The broadband requirement was a tongue in cheek reference to a minimum level of development.

16. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

yeah sry. Each to his own. I retired to Scotland so hahaha
    no help to you at all

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Ya big southern wimp! That said, I would nt choose sleight s in winter and I was born round there. All that NE coast is beautiful, but it's uninhabitable Nov-jan. Inland is better. Get under the shoulder of the Pennines, you can avoid the rains from the west and the winds from Scandinavia.

18. tones

tones Tones deaf

More like a grave mistake.

19. When I lived in Whitby it was sometimes almost impossible to walk along the West Cliff, the wind could be extremely strong and could blow people off their feet. We got cut off for 3 days once in the winter too, snow ploughs couldn't clear the roads.

Cheers BB

20. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

I've done something similar. The 90-day limit is a nuisance, but workable. Additional council taxes and utility bills you just have to grin and bear.
    One thing I didn't consider at the time was climate extremes: close to Bergerac but in an area several degrees warmer on average, it's too hot for me at this time of year (mid-80s last week). And in the Autumn you can be sunbathing at noon after an early morning frost. With hindsight I'd add weather to the research.
    And, as already highlighted, renting first before you buy is common sense.