advertisement

Resonant energy transfer

This post by Ken was most interesting to me.

The Sistrum stands are an excellent support structure when used in conjunction with Neuance(with the platform placed atop the upturned spikes). The primary concern is that one has enough space between the rack tiers to accomodate the thickness of the Neuance platform and your gear.

Obviously,in this application, the Sistrum's normally intended function will effectively be disabled and Neuance will perform in much the same way as it would when used as a replacement shelf for any other high quality support/rack featuring decoupled shelving such as Mana,Zoethecus or Target,etc.

Here ,rather than attempting to collect,spread and transfer excess energies from the component(airbourne,line and self -generated) thru the Sistrum's horizontal frame structure into the leg uprights and onto the flooring substrate and eventually to ground , Neuance itself functions as a rapid dissipation medium in direct contact with the component.In addition,as Neuance is bidirectional in its ability to dissipate and absorb vibrations,it also offers reductions of floorbourne/structurally sourced energies from energizing the component.

Regarding the use of aftermarket component footers (such as Audiopoints & APCD discs),please consider that Neuance has been very carefully designed to be sonically "invisible" and free of coloration.
It is not generally necessary or beneficial to sandwich aftermarket footers/cones between the component and the Neuance platform except for fine tuning for specific system issues & flavouring to taste.

Most footer devices function primarily as filters which can often be of benefit in band-aiding or masking resonance problems in a more traditional setting but when placed between the component and Neuance, can often impede the smooth and even transfer of energies towards Neuances collection laminate structure and absorbant core.

For the most part,due to this perception of "neutrality" and very low self-generated signature, Neuance will tend to ruthlessly reveal the sonic character of the footer for the good or the bad.

This isn't to say that footer devices will never be beneficial in conjunction with Neuance, but rather it is highly recommended that one starts out using the component manufacturers OEM stock feet until you gain a better understanding of Neuance's impact on the presentation and to establish a performance base-line for comparison.Once you have a good handle on it,you may experiment with footers to your heart's content.

Regards,
Ken Lyon
GreaterRanges/Neuance

I have a kids bike inner tube under my TT, that makes a measurable difference. Nothing I've ever placed under a dac or amp or phonostage has. I've never measured anything under a cd player.

I have a kids bike inner tube under my TT, that makes a measurable difference. Nothing I've ever placed under a dac or amp or phonostage has. I've never measured anything under a cd player.
Interesting comment by Ken:

Try checking out products that meet exactly the rigid/low mass/fast dissipation isolation philosophies you are looking for at www.neuanceaudio.com(my company) or www.cetech.co.uk(a respected competitor)as well as the RATA/Torlyte of Russ Andrews,UK(the man that wrote the book on low mass supports).Each has an unique manner in which resonant energies are controlled but all do so very effectively without destroying pace, rhythm and timing.

Bladder devices have the disadvantage of poor location in space on a microscopic level and thus present new problems for turntables and digital reading mechanisms such as transports and cdp's.
Cetech uses a carbon graphite/aluminum honeycomb composite for fast evacuation, while Torlyte is of low energy storage and internally damped.Neuance is a low mass decoupled monocoque of via constrained layer principles with a high ceramic content and internally damped.I firmly believe that any one of these products will satisfy your needs and tastes.

Best, Ken Lyon GreaterRanges/Neuance

Interesting comment by Ken:

Try checking out products that meet exactly the rigid/low mass/fast dissipation isolation philosophies you are looking for at www.neuanceaudio.com(my company) or www.cetech.co.uk(a respected competitor)as well as the RATA/Torlyte of Russ Andrews,UK(the man that wrote the book on low mass supports).Each has an unique manner in which resonant energies are controlled but all do so very effectively without destroying pace, rhythm and timing.Bladder devices have the disadvantage of poor location in space on a microscopic level and thus present new problems for turntables and digital reading mechanisms such as transports and cdp's. Cetech uses a carbon graphite/aluminum honeycomb composite for fast evacuation, while Torlyte is of low energy storage and internally damped.Neuance is a low mass decoupled monocoque of via constrained layer principles with a high ceramic content and internally damped.I firmly believe that any one of these products will satisfy your needs and tastes. Best, Ken Lyon GreaterRanges/Neuance
Designs you promoted earlier are quite heavy, so can't really be "low mass."

While there aren't analogues to this approach in the world of actual vibration isolation and damping (a well developed area of engineering), these devices are more of vibration "enhancers" - i.e. they amplify airborne acoustic vibration and "feed" them to your equipment case. If your equipment is microphonic, you may experience a coloration or musically correlated distortion that can be interpreted as " improvement."

Ken was into low mass supports:

“In all my experience, the low mass/fast dissipation approach is the most musically and sonically satisfying.High mass designs tend to store energy and release it slowly back into the system, smearing microdynamics and delicacies of texture & harmonic structures.Tempos, timing, rhythmic drive and energy will typically suffer.”

Interesting comment:

“I use Mana Soundstages beneath Neat Ultimatum MF7's. Also with a money back guarantee and exceptional performance.The design effectively breaks the feedback loop from speaker to floor and back towards the system whilst providing for increased resolution,air and openess,improved articulation,better defined timbres,textures and dynamic shadings,greater precision of staging,and a more extended,authoritative, tuneful and delineated bass.Highly recommended.”

Can't say I've ever heard smearing of anything on solid state kit.

The inner tube stops bass feedback through the floor and it's a 1" wide 20" diameter inner tube, so the whole TT actually sits within its perimeter and theres very little if any wobble laterally and because of its size compared to the spacing of typical 3 point tt suspension setup there's no roll.

Perhaps I should mount a microscope on it to see if I can spot that poor microscopic location he's wafflingnon about.

Some historical perspective:

When Neuance was first introduced back in 1988,wherever I went knocking with my product, any talk of pace, rhythm and tunefulness in audio reproduction equipment was met by blank stares with one notable exception: Linn dealerships.I don't think that the term "PRAT" had even been coined at that time or at least in use in the US,anyways.
As a consequence, the earliest versions of Neuance(mk2 &3) were sold thru Linn trained shops and developed to suit low mass turntables carried by those dealers(particularly the Linn, Rega, Revolver, Systemdek and Heybrook).
The driving force behind the development and research of each succeeding model has been to broaden Neuance's versatility and reliability whilst maintaining the character, appeal and simplicity of use of the original design.
Now in it's 5th generation ,Neuance has extended it's load capabities and refined it's musical benefits to include any and all audio components of up to 50+ pounds in weight.
Client usage of the current Mk V include entire systems, both valve and solid state.
Most customers begin with their source components,ranging from CDP's's from NAD's to Naims and Theta's to Flatfishes. All manner of turntables respond to Neuance from low mass "non-suspended" Regas to Roksans, spring suspended Michells to Oracles, high platter massed Nottinghams to Basis' and Scheus.
Neuance benefits phono stages,integrated amps, tuners, preamps and amplifiers, power supplies and DAC's as well: the only limitations to its suitability being that the component fall within the specified load parameters.
Virtually any stand or rack system which feature spiked shelf support or can be user modified to accommodate adjustable cone supports are suitable for use with the product.
The bulk of Neuance owners use such common stands as Target, Sound Organisation, Standesign and Audiotech. Many more include Mana, SolidSteel,Roksan, ArchiDee and others.

Best,
Ken

It can 'only' benefit microphonic circuits and tranducers. 99% of solid state circuitry isn't microphonic to anything less than herculean levels of vibration.

@John I had not come across Neuance before. Interesting that Ken Lyons talks about transfer of energy into and out of the equipment.

I have made some progress but am really closer to the start of my investigation into equipment isolation. I have focused on the speakers so far as the energy that they output in my room, definitely cause problems with the suspended floor and the crawl space beneath. Previously I had had some success with stacked Mana Soundstages in reducing the energy transfer into floor, but they were not practical with my current speakers. And so I am looking for a mechanism to reduce / stop the floor resonating. Experiments with isolation in my office system showed the same results as the Townshend Audio video (I used 4 soft springs instead of Townshend Podiums and will try the air bladder approach next):

Once I have found a solution that I am happy with I will have a look at my LP12 as it already has some isolation in the vertical direction through the spring arrangement, but all other degrees of freedom are pretty rigid. The LP12 works very well on the Mana stand, which does suggest that it is dumping some energy into the Mana stand. So I will have a look at vibrational energy flows using the seismograph app on my phone which might be sensitive enough for this task.

advertisement

Back