advertisement

Resistor Lead Bending Tool

Never thought of it as a "thing". I always just offered up the component to the pitch, noted the required length of leg to remain straight, held with mini long-nose pliers at that point and bend by hand.
To write it sounds long winded but in practice just a moment.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I mostly just use pliers as above but if I have a lot of larger components I use this :- https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-...573743D353435303836267374613D3035343530383626 which wasn`t anything like the current price 40 years ago.

I am aware of the device B B mentions but I have never felt the need to crimp the leads.

For small resistors I just push them over the edge of a piece 8mm paxolin - works a treat.

The device you link to looks as if it would work O.K. but are you fitting enough components to bother?

Yeah - wait till I'm at my "main" machine; there's one around which will also put "crimps" in the leads, to stop the component sitting directly on the board (if that's what you want).

Can't remember WHERE I saw it though. Sorry.

BugBear
I'd be interested to see that, thanks. I've spent 20 years bending the leads using needle nose pliers and a SWAG to get the length correct. But I do like a very neat board and would prefer something a little more consistent. If it costs a few quid, it doesn't matter if it doesn't get much use.

I'd be interested to see that, thanks. I've spent 20 years bending the leads using needle nose pliers and a SWAG to get the length correct. But I do like a very neat board and would prefer something a little more consistent. If it costs a few quid, it doesn't matter if it doesn't get much use.
I'd looked at it so long ago, it had dropped out of my history.

It's the Sunhayato RB-5.

Available from RS

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/ic-socket-inserters/6022040/

Here's a video:

BugBear

I use one of these: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/...MI7prJzaH83QIVBuh3Ch0-1QV2EAQYAyABEgIqdfD_BwE

13114-01_1024x1024.jpg

It does make things much neater, especially when soldering lots of the same size components e.g. resistors.

The problem I foresee is in a repair your new work will look better than what was already there and then your OCD will kick in and you'll end up redoing everything! Or maybe that's just me.

The problem I foresee is in a repair your new work will look better than what was already there and then your OCD will kick in and you'll end up redoing everything! Or maybe that's just me.

Oh don't, you'll set me off...

I hate the fact that I can't, however hard I try, do tidy wiring in DIY build, grrr...

Oh don't, you'll set me off...

I hate the fact that I can't, however hard I try, do tidy wiring in DIY build, grrr...

Don't get me wrong. My resistors might look better after the repair, but nothing else. I wouldn't be able to take apart something like a Naim and rebuild with all the perfect 90 degree wire bends!

BTW, that tool doesn't seem like it would work for anything larger than a resistor, would it?

. I wouldn't be able to take apart something like a Naim and rebuild with all the perfect 90 degree wire bends

Some one should have told Naim that electrons dont like going round sharp bends. I think their wiring looms are a work of art. However they put wires in the same bundle that shouldn't be any where near each other.

Some one should have told Naim that electrons dont like going round sharp bends. I think their wiring looms are a work of art. However they put wires in the same bundle that shouldn't be any where near each other.

But if sharp bends are a problem then certainly most components mounted on a PCB with bent leads won't be kosher either.

But seriously, I'm not sure I'd be easily convinced that it's a problem on an audible level. What's the mass of an electron again? :)

Some people design pcb tracks with nice gentle bends. For all i know it could be a load of old bollox but i have read about it several times (just cant remember where). Might have been Andy Weekes on pfm. On a component level i assume it cant be helped.

Anyway, sorry - off topic alert.

advertisement

Back