advertisement

Replacing seals on uPVC windows.

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
I noticed last winter that one of our windows, in fact the one I'm sitting close to now, has a significant draught blowing through it on the hinged side of the opening light. I decided it was a worn/compressed seal.... but forgot about it. Now the weather is cooling..... I've noticed it again.

The seals themselves are as cheap as chips and easily available online in numerous 'profiles'.

So.. I have one question. Does the old seal just pull out and the new one just push in?

Anyone?

Stick a sharp penknife in about 2" from a corner, slice across, pull that short section, and find out.

Cannot make matters materially worse.
You'll likely find self-adhesive equivs, too - if not a perfect match.

(and don't overlook the fact that if you home is otherwise well-sealed, a little background vent weepage is actually ..desirable and necessary; and that is quantifiable too.)

If you haven’t already done it I would try to check if the problem is misalignment or a sagging member (ooh err!) in the mechanism somewhere. These things do tend to suffer from fatigue at various points and maybe you can adjust it back to normal.
As for the rubbers, no idea sorry.

I think it’s more likely to be the friction stay
I travel round Lancs as a service man for a Preston co doing this stuff - I could pop by and advise maybe?

yes i have replaced many of these seals this year and other years . some are absolute pain in the neck !!! I did 2 conservatories this year alone , one was a cheap one and the channels were so tight . getting it round the corners was a total bugger !! then another more expensive conservatory the channels were bigger . it took time but the more expensive conservatory was easier . i have several to do next year but access is harder so i will have to take the opener out to get to it

the hardest thing is the old seals become very brittle and turn to bits as you take them out . if they are not brittle its a lot easier . very fiddly job but manageable

its a relatively easy job . i use this stuff always

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormgua...r3waoMTgeEaltTxQLLRoCtrYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

advertisement

Back