advertisement

Replacing Logitech Media Server?

The Squeezebox Touch is one of the all time great hi-fi products. Can’t think of an easier or better value way to get into streaming.
Sure is and still relevant today. I still look at it and smile.Such a box of tricks.Shame Logitech weren’t savvy enough to exploit its potential. I think it was the fact that it wasn’t quite plug n play and there was some work needed to use LMS and plug ins as opposed to just using the more limited MySqueezebox.com. Marvellous thing.

Will LMS play non Redbook files, all my files are 16/44 because I have a redbook DAC, so I don’t
I much prefer LMS to Roon - tried it for the second time recently as it seemed easiest way to get streaming and stored music to HQPlayer.

Still didn't like the interface on Roon, it's a mess. And then it did not work well with Qobuz - endless halting of the flow of music, had to restart the track. No patience with that.

LMS was more difficult to get integrated into HQPlayer but the gui is much cleaner (Orangesqueeze on an android tablet) and Qobuz works without issue.

And it cost me... Oh Yeah, nowt:)

It’s not quite true that Qobuz works without issue. It won’t play files of longer than 25 minutes (I think that’s the time, longer than around 25 minutes anyway.) In the music I listen to, that happens sometimes (Morton Feldman, for example.)

OK, it makes sense for me to stick with LMS since I have quite a few of their boxes.

What's the consensus on Raspberry Pi DACS? There seem to be a plethora of them on ebay, from ones which connect as a shield (or is it a hat?), I2S, USB etc

it would be interesting to explore this question about DACs as I’ve always assumed they were poor and used an external DAC.

I’ve been comparing the sound between my Squeezebox Touch via USB into a Dacmagic 100 and via coaxial into my Yamaha amps own internal Dac. I find that I just prefer the Yamaha via coax as it seems to present a more delineated sound with a more rounded bass than the USB.The USB seems a little softer round the edges in comparison with a touch of extra brightness in the treble.Im glad of this as I have been trying to reduce boxes.

I much prefer LMS to Roon - tried it for the second time recently as it seemed easiest way to get streaming and stored music to HQPlayer.

Still didn't like the interface on Roon, it's a mess. And then it did not work well with Qobuz - endless halting of the flow of music, had to restart the track. No patience with that.

LMS was more difficult to get integrated into HQPlayer but the gui is much cleaner (Orangesqueeze on an android tablet) and Qobuz works without issue.

And it cost me... Oh Yeah, nowt:)
When I returned to LMS it was a bit like coming home.

Will LMS play non Redbook files, all my files are 16/44 because I have a redbook DAC, so I don’t

It’s not quite true that Qobuz works without issue. It won’t play files of longer than 25 minutes (I think that’s the time, longer than around 25 minutes anyway.) In the music I listen to, that happens sometimes (Morton Feldman, for example.)

LMS has no issue with files of any bitrate or depth that I have ever encountered. I think SOX can be integrated to resample to redbook.

I have not encountered the issue with >25 minute long tracks but maybe I just have the attention span of a gnat.

I was an early adopter of Lms, well over 10 years ago. At that time you had to be geeky and the s/w was flaky. Only sonos offered any type of alternative. I collected various devices such as a touch, squeezebox radios. Today I am using lms with an allo usbridge signiture in my main system connected to an Mdac and the results are stunning. In My home office I use a touch connected via usd to a chord mojo playing into iloud mini monitors, a brilliant desk top solution. My lms server is running on a headless pi. The squeeze radios work great in a few bedrooms. My main point here is that the lms ecosystem gets better and better. The s/w is stable and gets upgraded. Remote controllers available on phones tablets and computers. What a great system, future proofed and always keeping up with the best on offer! The power of open source at its best. Long may it continue!

Same here - I had the SB, SB2, SB3, SB Touch. I was after a Transporter and Boombox for a while.

Its heartening to hear that LMS still lives, breathes and in rude health.

I'm trying to decide whether I should run LMS on my Windows 10 pro fileserver or spin it up on a RPi.

Same here - I had the SB, SB2, SB3, SB Touch. I was after a Transporter and Boombox for a while.

Its heartening to hear that LMS still lives, breathes and in rude health.

I'm trying to decide whether I should run LMS on my Windows 10 pro fileserver or spin it up on a RPi.
Do it...you won't regret it.

LMS still works well for me for an SB Touch and a Pi based player - mine is installed on a RockPro64 based NAS which being basically Linux is a lot easier to maintain than my QNAP 219 II NAS with its annoying RAMdisk setup.

Low cost low energy lms server solution is a headless pi with usb attached hard disk. Run a samba server on the pi and create a NAS if you need to access your music library to add to it. Very stable and a neat solution.

I get this with piCoreplayer.Find it the best Pi solution I have come across.

The piCoreplayer is very stable, the display software (forgotten its name.....) seems to forget it has a screen attached quite often, a reboot sorts it out.

I must fix this properly one day :0)

Jivelite...never had a problem with it.

I use the web browser or OrangeSqueeze so I hardly ever use the screen directly - perhaps it just gets bored and goes to sleep ?

I do have a cloth covering it up (LED's at night etc) so that might confuse the touch driver perhps.

Recent convert to LMS here thanks to inspiration and support from others here.

For my main system I find it incredible LMS runs on a humble Pi 2 (via ethernet since no WiFi/Bluetooth noise) into an Allo Digione and Chord 2Qute DAC. This combo is way better than my hifiberry Dac+ but then for the money you'd expect that. The hifiberry is good enough for the kitchen.

It would be interesting to see a league table of on-board pi DACs as I'm sure many out there have a few kicking around. There is lots of choice, and I think the more you spend gives noticeable improvement for little outlay. Audiophonics in France have a massive range and ship to the UK quickly.

I think if I were looking to spend again for the main system it would be either of the Allo signature devices with the shanti psu. But then you will need an external dac.

Recent convert to LMS here thanks to inspiration and support from others here.

For my main system I find it incredible LMS runs on a humble Pi 2 (via ethernet since no WiFi/Bluetooth noise) into an Allo Digione and Chord 2Qute DAC. This combo is way better than my hifiberry Dac+ but then for the money you'd expect that. The hifiberry is good enough for the kitchen.

It would be interesting to see a league table of on-board pi DACs as I'm sure many out there have a few kicking around. There is lots of choice, and I think the more you spend gives noticeable improvement for little outlay. Audiophonics in France have a massive range and ship to the UK quickly.

I think if I were looking to spend again for the main system it would be either of the Allo signature devices with the shanti psu. But then you will need an external dac.
I think there is a table that includes hats on audio science review that ranks based on measurements if that’s your thing.

advertisement

Back