advertisement

Replacing damaged external lead on RB300

hughmc2

pfm Member
It appears the external lead on the Rega RB300 / Michell Gyro Se has a break in it. If I move it at a particular spot the left channel cuts off.

I have looked at various sites and it all looks pretty straightforward apart from getting the plug/cap junction apart. Has anybody replaced their external lead and is it a ball-ache ? I am not doing this to upgrade. Just a repair.

I am no electrician but I had no problems fitting a Rockgrotto upgrade kit on my MF X-can V2. Lots of soldering, that all went surprisingly well.

any advise would be greatly appreciated

Hugh.

I've put an MDIN plug in the bottom of mine, they can be found on the bay for a tenner.
You'll then need / can upgrade to lead of choice.

They are fiddly little bleeders though, another option if the internal wires are long enough is to attach a pair of phono sockets directly, then experiment with interconnects of your choice.

Hughmc2,

If you get the arm sent back to us from one of our dealers then we will repair for you free of charge.

Just put a note in with the arm to that effect.

Best regards,

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

I managed to damage the leads of on RB700 removing it from my gyro but at the RCA end (the combined diameter of the RCAs was greater than that of the hole of the arm plate). You have probably found the source of the problem but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

There you go Hugh cant say better than that a free repair from Rega thats nice service ;)
If its just a break at the plug, I would just snip the wire and fit a new pair of plugs simple job Maplin shark plugs are nice quality for 4 quid a pair

Alan

Hughmc2,

If you get the arm sent back to us from one of our dealers then we will repair for you free of charge.

Best regards,

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Paul,

I'm gobsmacked. Thank you very much. I thought that sort of service was a thing of the past.

sincere thanks,

Hugh.

Hughmc2,

Best regards,

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Paul,

I will certainly take you up on your kind offer. I will send it back via Frank Harvey at Coventry if thats ok with you. Gives me an excuse to look at all their lovely goodies.

thanks again
Hugh.

There you go Hugh cant say better than that a free repair from Rega thats nice service ;)
If its just a break at the plug, I would just snip the wire and fit a new pair of plugs simple job Maplin shark plugs are nice quality for 4 quid a pair

Alan

Thanks for the suggestion Alan, but the break is at the tonearm end. Otherwise I would have given it a go.

I was a bit hesistant about messing because I had read somewhere about the cable being a set length relative to the resistance / impedance so I shouldn't cut it....?

I better check the length of the cable on the iron. I bet thats why my shirts are always creased ;)

I've just found my original RB300 cable I was going to donate, but it appears your sorted :)

FWIW, I recently had a dodgy RB700 cable on a RB301, it was replaced by my dealer too, good customer service should be hailed as well as the bad .

I also fitted an M-DIN-R to my Rb250, made cable dressing on LP12 better.

Great service from Rega again!

Richard

Perfect,

Give it to Kev at Frank Harveys with an explanation and we will do the rest.

Co-incidentaly I will be in frank Harveys on Tuesday morning.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Perfect,

Give it to Kev at Frank Harveys with an explanation and we will do the rest.

Co-incidentaly I will be in frank Harveys on Tuesday morning.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Thank you.

I'm currently overseeing a site ( from distance ) that is just around the corner. If I can I'll try get in there tuesday. I'll be the grateful looking fella trying hard not to spend more money.

Just like to say a big thank you to Paul Darwin and Rega. Rewired my RB300, internal & external wiring, picked up from Frank Harvey and back to me in 4 days, for free. Brilliant service.

Whatever I have in the future it will always have a rega arm on it.

thanks,
Hugh.

advertisement

Back