advertisement

Replacing a desktop PC with laptop

Neil P

pfm Member
I'm trying to reduce the PC box count so to speak. I have:
  • desktop PC which is used occasionally for gaming, and theoretically for photo editing but that hobby has fallen by the way side recently.
  • surface pro tablet with detachable keyboard - used daily for streaming movies, email etc
The latter struggles slightly running zwift, but I am loath to get a third device. I'm wondering whether a better spec laptop could replace both of the above, and be used for zwift too.

I have in mind a docking station (or is it a port rep!?!) on my desk, with my large monitor, keyboard/mouse, hard drives etc. The new laptop could then be used there or on its own depending on what I am doing.

Has anyone switched from desktop to laptop and regretted it?

Sorry just to add, I need to be able to use the computer in different rooms (zwift in the garage, movies in the dining room etc). Hence I either need multiple computers, or something portable.

Sellers on eBay and other places offer fanless PCs, which are smaller LxW than most all laptops, but slightly deeper.

Easily as portable as a laptop. You can get them for around £50 refurbished, so potentially just buy one for each room. They're much easier to hide away or tuck on a shelf than either laptop or standard tower desktop base units

You can get a laptop that is very powerful. However it will also be a lot more expensive than a modern desktop.

If I understand correctly you have two requirements a) an office system where you sometimes play games - I am guessing that these are not video intensive games that require large expensive NVIDIA GPU(s) that dissipates a lot of heat and multiple monitors b) a ZWIFT cycle training exercise/simulator located in your garage.

I would have thought that both of these applications would be better with a nice large curved monitor especially the cycling app for a truly immersive experience. So two similar systems one in the garage and the other in your office. If this is the case then a modern tiny PC that fits in the palm of your hand would be portable enough to use in both locations. I recently bought one and it was a quarter of the price of the new i7 series 12 carbon X1 that I bought my wife. In my case there are only two connections to be made power supply brick and HDMI cable to the monitor. I use Logi wireless keyboards and mice.

Here is a video clip of the exact tiny PC that I have although I paid a lot less than the guy in the vid. Note the small size and it has the latest Ryzen9, 32GB memory and I also installed a 2TB WD Black gaming NVMe and a 4TB Samsung EVO SATA drive all in that tiny box! I am not saying that this is for you as there are umpteen models from which to choose (some cheaper and others more expensive) but to show you another option that will be cheaper than a similar specced laptop and you can have big immersive screens to boot.

Minisforum UM690 mini PC - Unboxing and Setup - YouTube

Have fun,

DV

Sellers on eBay and other places offer fanless PCs, which are smaller LxW than most all laptops, but slightly deeper.

Easily as portable as a laptop. You can get them for around £50 refurbished, so potentially just buy one for each room. They're much easier to hide away or tuck on a shelf than either laptop or standard tower desktop base units

But imagine if you could get a small PC with a built-in small screen, a built-in keyboard, a built-in mouse and a built-in battery backup. Making it super convenient and super portable. You could take it anywhere and use it anywhere!

Just imagine.

We can only dream... :(

advertisement

Back