advertisement

Replacement wireless key fob

eddie pugh

pfm Member
I know there are some wizards out there with electronics so here goes

I have just bought a property fitted with a Maplins Alarm system. It's all wireless and branded Fox Security FSS 7500. Needless to say Maplins can't supply any additional key fobs and don't have a clue as to how it all works. They just want to sell me the replacement model.

It's armed and disarmed with a wireless key fob and can "learn" up to 4 key fobs

I have one useable key fob and all works fine but I would like two more for other family members.

It has an SAR 418 Surface accoustic wave thing in it which I think means it operates at 418Mhz There is also an 18 pin DIL chip in it and a few capacitorsand a little aerial coil. There are no DIP switches which I understand means it can't be cloned using a self learning key fob as available on the bay

Can this thing be decoded and copied by a competent alrm company.

I've tried a few car key experts and as soon as they hear it's not on a vehicle they run a mile.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

eddie

Personally I'd get a new system. One that isn't wireless. There is a device available (keygrabber) that can read, copy and duplicate these wireless codes and hence disable your alarm.....would you really want that risk???
I know I wouldn't.

midcm1

Thanks for your advice. I agree entirely but this is a BTL and I thought it would be good to give the tenants a modicum of security.

This device has some sort of a rolling code algorithm so can not be copied so easily.

eddie

I have rolling code algorithm units for lights and doors, they cannot be copied by code grabbers, I have a freind who tried for me.
But sorry I can not help with a suggextion for replacement.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, rolling code algorithms do not prevent someone from cloning your fobs. They just make it more difficult. Not all algorithms are made equal, and not all are so resistant to attack. More often than not they're just PRNGs (pseudo-random number generators) which are not any way considered secure. All you need is the correct seed and away you go...

Having said that, the rolling code fobs do significantly raise the bar when it comes to cloning.

At the risk of sounding pedantic, rolling code algorithms do not prevent someone from cloning your fobs. They just make it more difficult. Not all algorithms are made equal, and not all are so resistant to attack. More often than not they're just PRNGs (pseudo-random number generators) which are not any way considered secure. All you need is the correct seed and away you go...

Having said that, the rolling code fobs do significantly raise the bar when it comes to cloning.

Ooops,
That my doors wide open for the little devils then.
I expect you get what you pay for.
At the end of the day you could worry your self to death.
The swines when faced with lots of bars on windows and doors on my workshop just waved at the cctv, climbed on the roof and took the tiles off.
Some one else just drove a van through the wall.
The police were very helpfull, after recovering the van from the carnage, they, well they lost it!

Eddie, If the alarm has a manual arm / disarm button on the control panel it may be easier to buy a cheap remote key fob and receiver and connect this to the original panel.

advertisement

Back