advertisement

Replacement Naim Power Cable

G.smith310

pfm Member
I have just bought a power cableless Naim XS.

I have tested it with my old power cable and it sounds amazing. But I'm going to have to include that cable in the sale of my old amp.

Does anyone know where I can pick up a standard naim power cable ? I'm trying to keep things cheap so am trying to stay away from the powerline lite.

Second hand is preferable :)

Happy weekend all

I tried a Naim power cable on my Rega Saturn-R. Jigger me if it didn't sound better!

The good news is that it's the plug end that's different. Rega use a moulded on plug where Naim use good old MK plugs. If you find a lead that has the same kind of IEC plug as Naim use, cut off the moulded plug and fit an MK one you're golden.

By the way, I solder the cables into the pins on the mains plugs. It's a pain, you need a decent iron, but it sounds better again.

Have you any idea how much they might cost ?

Just make them. Naim do not manufacture IEC leads or mains plugs. They buy the two and nail them together. With pixie dust if the Naim sheep are to be believed but...they're full of it. If you make the leads out of the same bits they'll sound the same. Or better, if you solder them.

Have you any idea how much they might cost ? I don't know where I will be selling it yet. Or if I might give it to my dad :)

Naim Powerlines are over £500. Their Powerline Lite is around a £100.They are made with superior fairy dust, rather than the cheaper pixie dust that the older originals used. In them bygone days the quote was “The best sounding cable is the one that came in the box”. Then they discovered Smirnoff........

The older cables occasionally come up on eBay from around £35-40.

Or you can go to B&Q and buy a kettle lead.

Have you any idea how much they might cost ? I don't know where I will be selling it yet. Or if I might give it to my dad :)

Just go buy a standard moulded plug and make sure it has a 5amp fuse in it, at least I think it is a 5amp they use.

The fancy Naim plugs I understand have more to do with the vibration being damped than any special qualities the plugs and cables give.

However if you cannot be bothered to go to B&Q Flashback Sales will sell you any cable you want, just about.

Here is a link to the mains cables you will need, Flashback are well thought off here and their prices are great.

https://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/acatalog/13-amp-uk-plug-female-iec-power-cable-229.html#SID=76

The cable is standard I-Sheng, 3 x 0.75mm, 2m, same as on Power-Line Lite but with a standard plug, rather than the floating cable retainer/floating pins jobbie. Click on the pic and read for yourself.

Power-Line%20Lite%202_0.png

Is different better though?

Quite. Both Naim and Rega sell souped up mains leads so I made one that was basically a copy of Rega's lead with a gold plated IEC plug, gold plated big mains plug, screened cable etc. Was a pig to make as the cable was so thick, I used the same cable as Rega but thicker.

Tried it on every box I could plug it into but it was worse on everything. Sounded duller. Eventually I gave it away.

The stock cable Naim use is so far the best I've found. I'm sure others might be better but I haven't tried them.

advertisement

Back