advertisement

Replacement for my Proac Studio 125

If you are only planning on the 'small' place for a year then I would definitely keep the current units ready for deployment in the future - and no money goes anywhere.

125’s are nice but do need room to breathe. My old pair in oak, which were in fantastic condition, were sold on by the PFM’er who bought them from me a few years ago. I think they were up for 350 from memory, don’t know what they actually sold for.

If you like the proac sound, why not pick up some nice Tablette 50’s on some decent stands for 200-250? Cracking little speaker (used to have some of these as well!).
I heard that pair at Ray’s house, they were a steal at £350 in my opinion. Hifinutt bought them I believe and was also very impressed by them.

Anyway to answer the OPs question, Neat Motives would be a good compact replacement I think. Minstrels are very nice but the price is creeping and it’s getting harder to find mint examples.

Thanks for all the advice.

Was always going to try them out - but I am now pretty convinced I'll keep them anyway for the next place if they don't work out in the room. Seeing people praising their value makes me pretty convinced that I should keep them, and possibly save eventual upgrade money in the future for a Sugden A21 instead (btw - I found very little info on the A28 I currently have before buying it for cheap and it really is an astonishing bit of kit for the sub 200 I bought it for; you probably guessed I don't have tons of cash so have never tried any expensive kit but have tired my speakers on the end of Yaqin EL34 valve amp, a Nait 5i, Arcam A19, and Rega Brio R and the old late 80s Sugden blows them all out of the water so I find it remarkable it never gets mentioned anywhere....).

I've seen a set of Minstrels for a pretty good price that seem all good in terms of function but need a tidy up visually. Probably buy those ato play around with re-veneering and restoring, and will use for the year if I can't get the Proacs to agree with the space.

Thanks for all your input.

Was always going to try them out - but I am now pretty convinced I'll keep them anyway for the next place if they don't work out in the room. Seeing people praising their value makes me pretty convinced that I should keep them, and possibly save eventual upgrade money in the future for a Sugden A21 instead (btw - I found very little info on the A28 I currently have before buying it for cheap and it really is an astonishing bit of kit for the sub 200 I bought it for; you probably guessed I don't have tons of cash so have never tried any expensive kit but have tired my speakers on the end of Yaqin EL34 valve amp, a Nait 5i, Arcam A19, and Rega Brio R and the old late 80s Sugden blows them all out of the water so I find it remarkable it never gets mentioned anywhere....).

I've seen a set of Minstrels for a pretty good price that seem all good in terms of function but need a tidy up visually. Probably buy those ato play around with re-veneering and restoring, and will use for the year if I can't get the Proacs to agree with the space.

That sounds like a sensible plan. I have to admit, I’d not heard of the Sugden A28 before this thread so the reason it might not receive much praise is likely due to its rarity and people just not knowing about it.

Left field suggestion, SBLs? Probably best to move house first as you could be 2nd guessing a non problem, not that many decent speakers below £500
Good suggestion. A friend of mine has the proactive 140's and they need to be into the room. My sbls go against the wall and there are similarities soundwise indeed.

good plan and i am grateful to ponty and linnformaniac for helping me get the 125`s . here they are with some fugalhorn xl . you can see them sitting on the iso pucks

P1050212 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

advertisement

Back