advertisement

Replacement for my Proac Studio 125

LF89

Hi all,

Been looking around for a while but first post here - so hello.

I'm after a bit of advice so hoping I'm in the right bit of the forum.

I am currently using a set of Proac Studio 125s to great effect partnered with a Sugden A28 (couldn't afford an A21 and wanted to try Sugden and ended up sticking with it....).

Problem is I am likely moving to another house soon which has smaller rooms and giving the Proacs the space to breathe anywhere will likely be an unachievable task. I am therefore looking for alternatives.

Not really sure where to go with this - I would love a set of baby floorstanders as I much prefer them to stand mounts aesthetically (not really the be all and end all though...). Current thoughts are either to swap out the Proacs price for price with some Neat Motive 2s. Or go much lower on the price and switch for some Royd Minstrels as I will likely move again in a year or so and can then match the system to my new place where I should be much longer....

All other suggestions welcome though as I am really not sure what options are out there in this price range/style of speaker.

Only other I have really considered are Rega R3s; if any ever surface....

I can't really go beyond the price I can get for the Proacs as don't have the cash.

Might be easier if anyone just has some Neat Motives to swap : p.

Alternative amp is a Yaqin MC10l which is an EL34 based valve amplifier - I much prefer the Sugden though as I find valves too fussy (I can also get more money getting rid of the Yaqin....)

Source is mostly vinyl. RP3 into a Tisbury Domino (which is an ace phono btw....).

Thanks in advance - all your help is really appreciated.

ProAc 125 likely to bring 300-325 vs 800 for the tab 10 and op says cant go beyond what he can raise from the sale. ^ so doesn't seem likely

Thanks for the replies so far. Unfortunately TCar is right - can’t really stretch to the Tablettes, while I’d love to be able to -too many costs on the horizon.

Would have thought the Proacs might fetch more than that though so you’ve worried me a little... last set sold on the bay went for 600 - was hoping id get a more realistic 400-450; as they are in great nick. Happy to be corrected though as I’ve not spent much time looking....

Either way - can probably assum the budget is around 400-450 - as if push comes to shove I may be able to squeeze on a little. Not afraid of the bang for buck cheaper options though - as they may only be with me around a year and I like to experiment.

Good luck lf89. I actually have been looking to move on from my 125s that I am listening to right now. They are vvv good for the money. I paid 325 for mine via Ebay a few years ago and while they have some dings it's a lot of speaker for the cash. I'm reconsidering moving on!

125’s are nice but do need room to breathe. My old pair in oak, which were in fantastic condition, were sold on by the PFM’er who bought them from me a few years ago. I think they were up for 350 from memory, don’t know what they actually sold for.

If you like the proac sound, why not pick up some nice Tablette 50’s on some decent stands for 200-250? Cracking little speaker (used to have some of these as well!).

I would wait and see if they work closer to the wall in your new place.

I use Studio 150's in a small room, no more than 30 cm from the back wall. And they work very well.
But I don't have a S(H)WMBO - you may have. lol

Thanks all.

They certainly are lovely - it took me ages to get them set up right (and with the right amp for that matter) but now they sing beautifully so will be a shame to change them.

I will probably keep them until I am there to be honest unless something screams out at me to buy (hence why I want to know what to look out for atm...) - but I don't hold out much hope as they have been super fussy here, and were very very boomy near the walls.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Tablettes - I will keep an eye.

All this appreciation for the 125s though is making me almost want to go bargain basement with the royd minstrels or similar for under 100 and store the 125s for the next move....

125’s are nice but do need room to breathe. My old pair in oak, which were in fantastic condition, were sold on by the PFM’er who bought them from me a few years ago. I think they were up for 350 from memory, don’t know what they actually sold for.

If you like the proac sound, why not pick up some nice Tablette 50’s on some decent stands for 200-250? Cracking little speaker (used to have some of these as well!).
yes I had pontys lovely 125 and they were super. Took a bit of taming but got there in the end . Sold for 350 but a pair sold recently for nearly double that !!! Very hard to beat for that low budget. I improved mine by isopucks underneath

Thanks hifinutt - just seen. They may be sold before the house is confirmed but will watch them closely.

That said... I might be being persuaded to keep them....

My partner just told me she loves them and I shouldn’t get rid as wel....

I have some Ditton 15s spare, haha - any views? Never reallly tried them since I found them at the tip for a fiver....

Still open to suggestions though and tempted by those 110s... I thought asking here would give me clarity. How wrong was I!?!

Why do you assume the 125s won't work in the new room without even trying?

I have some Rega RS3s in a smallish living room (18sqm) and they work great. They are front ported and they have the side drivers so they aren't picky with room or placement.

Right now if I were to change them, I'd try Neat Alpha, Spendor A2, Kudos or some bookshelfs like ATC or Dynaudio.

Thanks Fuici, some good suggestions for me to explore.

It’s the lack of space to pull them away from the wall - the shape of the room is very awkward. I know how fussy they are - the double rear port is a killer. I will try them, but it’s good to keep an eye out for alternatives in the meantime.

I used to use my Studio 150s in a smallish room without a problem. In my current room Mrs BB pushes them back when I’m not looking, they sound suprisingly good quite close to the wall.

Cheers BB

I would advise keeping them and trying them in the new room. As said you can play about bunging/tuning the ports.

advertisement

Back