advertisement

Replacement for EPOS ES30's

Barwon

I am looking to replace my Epos ES30's. Since I have moved house, in my smallish listening room (4m wide by 5m deep by 2.7m high), I find that I can getting too much lower bass boom. My system is:

Naim 250 (original CB model) + hiCap + nac 102 (All recently serviced)
CD 3.5 with FlatCap
Naim speaker cable

I listen mainly to jazz (with occasional lapse into 60/70's rock and folk) and a jazz double bass can often sound a bit boomy and muddy in my system. Probably the ES30's have always needed more amp than I have, but now the smaller room emphasises it. I have tried every speaker position, concrete mounts, sponge plugs in ports etc, etc. but now I would like to try some different speakers. I'm now 65, and the ears are not as fussy as they once were with highs, but still appreciate good, tight bass, and my amps/player are as good as I can appreciate. Budget of up to $7500 (5000 pounds) but hopefully less for new speakers and hopefully I can get a bit back on the ES30's.

I live in countryside in Victoria, Australia, and I will need to audition the speakers in a Melbourne showroom, little chance of a home demo - or at best the opportunity to try just one pair. Hence my problem is how the speakers will perform with my kit and my room. Not all brands available in the UK are available here.
Models I have researched, and think may work for me, and can audition include: PMC (twenty.24, fact 8), Sonus Faber (Cremona auditor) , ProAc (model?). I have listened to Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Grand at a regional store not far from me, (that was the only premium brand they stocked) and in the showroom I found them lacking a bit of mid range punch and bass control. The shop seemed reticent to let me try them at home, so they will probably be off my list.

Any practical experience and further suggestions from forum members would be really helpful to get me to narrow down my options for good long shop auditions and hopefully manage to get one pair home to listen to.

Probably the ES30's have always needed more amp than I have.
I can confirm this - they need a proper amp to come on song.

They are a compromise - the ES14 mids and treble are great but the ES30's woofer sounds just beautiful IMO, definitely better than the aforementioned. Still a great speaker - I wouldn't know what to replace them with, maybe one of the better ProAcs.

Smaller room ........ es 30's now too much ?.

Try a second hand pair of es22's if you spot them. Great with olive 250 or 135s.
A cb 250 would be perfect I'd think ,although Ive never heard one. Or es 30s for that matter.
You could save yoursef a fortune. Fantastic speakers. I had to go to WB Arcs + rel subwoofer to better them . Still kept the 22's though.Still use them now and then with my Exposure stuff.

Cheers,

Mark.

Just thought. My NAP was a 250.2 that was a little full. Not sure if this applies to older variants.

Maybe even the PMC twenty .21 might just be perfect. I have a similar size room to you and also have problems with bass boom.

I use Naim IBL's with a BK sub. For whatever reason the BK sub goes very low but does not boom where every larger speaker that I have tried does boom. Beats me.... ?

I've got some big floorstanders that I like and use in a big room. Like you I will be (I hope) moving to a smaller house next year and I have been thinking about what to do.

I'm probably going to sell the Naim amps and listen to active speakers. Event Opals are favourite as are the rather stylish looking things that, I can't spell and Tony L has a thread about. ATC 50s too but they are a little Stalinist!

I expect an improvement and some money in my pocket.

Edit- just seen your budget and tastes I would also see if you could hear Obelisks which I think would need a better amp but sale of the Naim stuff will also fund that.

Thank you for all your suggestions. Second hand EPOS speakers are like hen's teeth here in Oz, and I have never seen any ES 22 for sale. I will listen to the PMC's mentioned. And re: selling the Naim gear - I must admit I often think about that, and dread the next Naim repair or service cost (very expensive here in Oz), but I am not sure I have the energy to sell it all and then go through endless auditions of all new gear (bearing in mind I live away from good hi fi stores.
Thank you all, once again.

advertisement

Back