advertisement

Repairing RCA input on Meridian M20

kasperhauser

pfm Member
Hello knowledgable folks. I've just bought a pair of these speakers that need some work. It seems they were roughly removed from their installed location, and both RCA input jacks have been yanked out in the process:

Unknown-2.jpg

Assuming nothing else has been farked, is this repair as straightforward as it appears? Suitable for DIY?

Any tips and suggestions for sourcing parts would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming that no significant damage has been done to the PCB, that should be an easy fix.
HOWEVER, I have just had a very quick search and all of the PCB-mount RCA connectors that I can find are elbow type, so the connection would be pointing up or down, and pic's online show them to be straight.

Simple mishandling/thuggery seems very unlikely to have done what you have posted a pic' of though. The connector is missing but no other OBVIOUS damage.

Yeah, it does seem awfully "lucky" that the jacks were so surgically removed without pieces of the board coming along. I'll try to get the story, but I bought them from a guy who got them as part of an estate lot. I doubt he knows.

I did run across this RCA jack that seems to have a similar form factor:

https://console5.com/store/pcb-mounted-rca-jack-rf-port-for-atari-2600-5200.html

There's a place in Georgia (US) called the Meridian Repair Shop who do authorized repair/service; I might send them an email. I know these speakers are long out of support, but sourcing something as simple as two RCA jacks might be doable.

Assuming no damage, and a fit, there is only polarity to get right.

I can't really imagine why anyone would remove the original RCAs so cleanly and there be no obvious sign of how else they connected to them. Weird.

I wonder whether they had locking phono plugs but no one realised...

If I was ignorant of such things, and hifi in general, I'd have just cut the leads, or left the whole lot attached. For whatever reason, someone at least seems to have made a neat job of removing the RCAs (could be a nightmare on the other side of the board).

advertisement

Back