advertisement

Repair faulty interconnects

BigBlue2020

pfm Member
I have some Russ Andrews Crystal Cu interconnects which I like but unfortunately there is now no sound through the rh cable.

Obviously a connection has gone. Does anyone know the weak spots here and any easy repairs ? Thanks

All cables, always suspect a dry joint (needs re-soldering).

That apart you are looking at some very major manufacturing defect (although many would argue that that is exactly what a dry joint in a professionally made cable is anyway).

You will need to find a suitable dingly dell where pixies will be able to refill it with special Russ Abbot magic. They love an atmosphere...

Or find the break or the dry joint and fix it...

Looking at Google images it appears to be a Kimber solid-core weave somewhat similar to PBJ and is often served up with hefty WBT plugs, which have very poor strain-relief/clamping for this type of cable. If so I bet it has broken or come unsoldered at one of the plug ends. As such anyone competent with a soldering iron should be able to fix it.

As such anyone competent with a soldering iron should be able to fix it.

Will require special crystal solder though.;)

I'm currently using 'special' HDMI cable for my DAC inter connect £ 3 for 5M length though each twisted pair is foil wrapped. Doesn't sound too shabby.

Just unscrew the RCA cover and have a look see which wire is disconnected
Then resolder it

Alan

Will require special crystal solder though.;)

I remember decades ago reterminating some Kimber KCAG or whatever its called (the silver version of PBJ) for a friend and him insisting I used some silver solder he provided. What crap that was! It just didn’t want to flow at all, really horrible stuff. I still use bog standard 60/40 lead stuff for everything, just gives perfect joints every time.

Agreed....for the amount of silver in it...silver solder is just a waste of time for any microscopic improvement...and just raises the temperature required to make the joint... possibly causing more damage

Its the lead free solder that flows poorly and I don't use it for that reason
I use 60/40 lead/tin for everyday stuff but for audio boards I use WBT 0820 which is also leaded but does have 4% silver solder.
This is excellent solder IMHO and flows perfectly and at a lower temperature than normal solder (180C) so its great for sensitive components such as polystyrene capacitors.
https://www.wbt.de/english/products/a/Detailansicht/Artikel/silberloetzinn-1.html
Be careful not to buy their led free as well 08X5

Alan

advertisement

Back