advertisement

Renovate an old Linn Axis?

This has been really useful chaps. Thanks for all of the comments.
Here is my current thinking:
- I will clean up the Axis (new belt and oil) and get it working. Listen for a bit and then give back to my friend (or sell it for him!). I think a Linn arm upgrade is going to be too expensive for me, as well as being tricky to find a reasonable arm in the first place.
- I really like the idea of a Thorens as my next play (150 or 160) and then look for a SME-3009. These arms seem to be more robust(?) and so a better chance of finding a reasonable one.
Seem reasonable?

Very reasonable. Bear in mind that a 3009 will cost more than the thorens on which it sits. They look great but I'm not sure that they are better than the golf ball arm from a td 150.

I had a k9 many years ago and recall it being grey. Did linn change the colour at some point?
Linn K9's first came out with a yellow stylus on a silvery metallic body. The stylus colour subsequently changed to grey. There was also a change to the body at some point with later ones being grey metallic though the cartridge weight was very similar throughout. The metal body makes it quite heavy.

I have 3 samples of the cartridge plus enough original stylus replacements of both colours to keep going for quite some time. I do however find it a difficult cartridge to match up. It plays ok on some of my decks/arms but only really excels for me when on an Ittok.

I have never owned a K5 to check but I believe the bodies were different with more plastic. My copies of Hi-Fi Choice from the 80's don't address the K5. The K9 was a development of the cheap and cheerful Linn Basik cartridge itself based on the AT95 but with metal body and better Vital stylus.

Linn K9's first came out with a yellow stylus on a silvery metallic body.

The cartridge on my old Axis has a yellow stylus with a silvery metallic body - so it matches this description. However I have no idea how to tell if its actually a K9. I will try to get a picture for people

People have mentioned the Akito arm, but that seems to fetch a *lot* of money these days!!
What about the Basik LV X Arm?
Is that better than the Basik Plus?
Worth thinking about? Or forget Linn as out of my budget...

The cartridge on my old Axis has a yellow stylus with a silvery metallic body - so it matches this description. However I have no idea how to tell if its actually a K9. I will try to get a picture for people

l had a K9 years ago that was exactly the same as Vinyl Paul has described.

The K9s have a line down the middle of the stylus assembly that aligns with a similar line on the cartridge which is fairly distinctive. I think this was to help with setup alignment.

People have mentioned the Akito arm, but that seems to fetch a *lot* of money these days!!
What about the Basik LV X Arm?
Is that better than the Basik Plus?
Worth thinking about? Or forget Linn as out of my budget...
My understanding is the Basik Plus was the final iteration of the LV line of arms which started out with an S bend tube but ended up as the straight arm fixed headshell Basik Plus. The Basik Plus is probably best out of that line because it is the most recent.
This line was then replaced by the Akito as the "budget" Linn arm. The Akito also has a number of variants since it was introduced.

Actually, if you do a K9 search on eBay it would appear the majority are similar. Including a K9 body priced at £249! I always assumed the K9 had the visible metal on its body.

I would keep it stock, and put either an AT95e or EX on, maybe even an AT100e.

My second hifi tt, which I took to University, was a brand new Thorens TD150 Mkii, with 'orrible arm and a quite nice Ortofon FF15e. I then upgraded to a SME imp, which never sounded quite right. I'm not sure the Thorens and SME suit each other, looks nice, sounds off the pace.

Cheers for the clarification. I've always liked the K9 and AT95e cartridges myself. You couldn't describe them as smooth as silk but great fun for the money and always musical. The AT95e VTF is a wide window to play with as well.

advertisement

Back